States of Matter in a Chemical Equation  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

PranaviKolla2B

States of Matter in a Chemical Equation

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:18 pm

When writing out chemical equations, should we always include the states of matter of each of the reactants and products?

rabiasumar2E

Re: States of Matter in a Chemical Equation  [ENDORSED]

Postby rabiasumar2E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Yes. It's important in future calculations and it's always good practice to begin doing it when it isn't necessary.

Jordan Young 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: States of Matter in a Chemical Equation

Postby Jordan Young 2J » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:26 pm

It doesn't affect the equation itself but it may be good to know so you can visualize the experiment and sometimes elements change states if you have multiple equations that are linked together. Also, as we learn more it may be important when we expand balancing equations into greater concepts that relate to states of matter, but it's not entirely necessary.

KHowe_1D

Postby KHowe_1D » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Like Jordan said, even if it won't affect the results of your chemical equation you should add them to get into the habit for future, more complex chemical reactions. It also helps me understand how the reactions are occurring and how the molecules interact.

Anisha Chandra 1K

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:38 am

Another related question here: if the problem doesn't tell you which state the products will be in, what are some tips for determining the state based on the reaction?

John Arambulo 1I

Postby John Arambulo 1I » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:07 am

If the problem doesn't directly tell you the states of the reactants or products, you can determine it based on the reaction knowing if the reaction occurs in an aqueous solution. Most products from reactions in aqueous solutions are also aqueous. If you know that one of the products is a precipitate from the precipitation reaction, it would be solid because precipitates are due to compounds being insoluble in water.

PranaviKolla2B

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Also, what are all the shorthand notations for the states of matter? (ex: for solids, it is (s))

KaleenaJezycki_1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby KaleenaJezycki_1I » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:19 pm

PranaviKolla3G wrote:Also, what are all the shorthand notations for the states of matter? (ex: for solids, it is (s))

For solids (s), Aqueous Solutions (aq), Liquids (l), and Gases (g)

Kyle Harvey 4F

Postby Kyle Harvey 4F » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 am

Other than actually stating what state the molecule is in (s, l, g, aq) in the problem, are there any other ways or indicators to determine the states of the molecules if they are not stated?

Kassidy Ford 1I

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 am

What is the purpose of having the states of matter in the chemical equation? What does it imply? Does it only matter in a lab/experiment setting?

Maya Beal Dis 1D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Maya Beal Dis 1D » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 am

In what instances would a molecule be liquid as opposed to aqueous? What are some examples of molecules besides water that are in the state of pure liquid and not aqueous?

Eesha Sohail 1D

Postby Eesha Sohail 1D » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Maya Beal Dis 1E wrote:In what instances would a molecule be liquid as opposed to aqueous? What are some examples of molecules besides water that are in the state of pure liquid and not aqueous?

An ionic compound will usually react in solution, so those are, for the most part, written as aqueous; NaCl, CuSO4, etc. Off the top of my head I can't recall any equations that use substances other than water in the liquid state, but some fuel reactions for rockets and such rely on liquid hydrogen and oxygen for propulsion. I think nitrogen has been used the same way as well, but don't quote me on that...

As far as I know, we won't work with many reactions like that, though. Reactions in aqueous solution seem to be much more prominent.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”