Naming ionic/ molecular compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ali Polansky 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Naming ionic/ molecular compounds

Postby Ali Polansky 1A » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:20 am

Hey does anyone have any tips on naming ionic/ molecular compounds? Some problems where we balance equations, it requires to write the formula from the word problem.

Sarah Zhari 1D

Re: Naming ionic/ molecular compounds

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 am

I think one way of naming ionic compounds is to look at the separate cations and anions, and then name those cations and anions accordingly. For example, KCl is potassium chloride, because it has a potassium cation and a chloride anion. In some cases, you might need to look at the charges of the cations and anions to decide the name, and in some cases, some metals can have variable oxidation states, such as iron (II) and iron (III).

Emma Popescu 1L

Postby Emma Popescu 1L » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am

Our TA said we shouldn't worry about that until Chem 14B and that we will go over it later on

Aadil Rehan 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Aadil Rehan 1D » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 pm

While I'm fairly sure we won't have to worry about that for most of 14A, might be a good call to take a look at some lists of polyatomic ions online and start to memorize them - it makes a lot of problems a lot quicker. I also like to make dumb mnemonics: for example: the carbonate ion is CO3, which I remember by thinking, "Oh, carbon ate 3 meals" - hence, CO3. Honestly, just seeing it over and over helps cement them.

Eesha Sohail 1D

Postby Eesha Sohail 1D » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

If anyone is looking for a good list of inorganic naming conventions, I found this one very helpful, as it organizes ions by charge and groups together similar polyatomic ions, including the oxyanions:

http://msmcraesscience.weebly.com/uploa ... lature.pdf

Hope this helps someone!

Tai Metzger 3K

Postby Tai Metzger 3K » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:03 pm

I also had a question relating to this. What exactly are the roman numerals after some metals and when do we need to use them?

Astrid Lunde 1I

Postby Astrid Lunde 1I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Tai Metzger 3K wrote:I also had a question relating to this. What exactly are the roman numerals after some metals and when do we need to use them?

The roman numerals after some metals refers to the number of valence electrons of the particular metal ion.

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Re: Naming ionic/ molecular compound

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 pm

In the periodic table, there are elements (mainly from groups 3-12) that have variable amounts of electrons present. In this case the difference between Iron (II) (ferrous) and Iron (III) (ferric) is that in iron (II), the iron atom has lost two electrons to form Iron (II) and in iron (III) the iron atom has lost three electrons to form iron (III).

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”