Chemical States

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Kang 3I

Chemical States

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 pm

When we write out a chemical equation, do we have to write their physical states like (l), (g), (aq) next to the molecules??

Alvaro Chumpitaz 4D

Re: Chemical States

Postby Alvaro Chumpitaz 4D » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

I think you should put the states because if not the equation would be skeletal.

Ryan Narisma 4G

Postby Ryan Narisma 4G » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Joanne Kang 3I! I agree with Alvaro Chumpitaz 4D that you should put the states if they're known and given in the problem. Sometimes, the states are kind of ambiguous. However there are some reactions for which we should know the states. Take for example combustion reactions. We know that a hydrocarbon will react with Oxygen and that Oxygen exists on Earth as a diatomic element (meaning that gaseous Oxygen = O) and that the products are water vapor (HO) and carbon dioxide (CO)—both of which are gases. If the reaction gives its reactants and products without the states, then it would be safe to omit the physical states. I hope this helps!

Pegah Nasseri 1K

Postby Pegah Nasseri 1K » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Try to include the states of the reactants and products if they are known. Sometimes it is helpful when determining the solute and the solvent of a solution or to figure out what solute is produced by a chemical reaction. This will help you determine different properties of the reactants and products, such as solubility. It also helps you identify what type of reaction is occurring. If the problem gives you a chemical equation without the states of matter, then you most likely don't have to include them.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”