H.7 Catalysts  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melvin Reputana 1L

H.7 Catalysts

Postby Melvin Reputana 1L » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello can someone please help me understand what catalysts are and how they work? I understand that catalysts do not participate in a chemical reaction. However, for example in H.7, how does the copper metal help drive the reaction without interacting with the reactants?

SnehinRajkumar1L

Re: H.7 Catalysts  [ENDORSED]

Postby SnehinRajkumar1L » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Catalysts typically lower the activation energy of a reaction so that it can happen faster. I assume that the catalyst does the same in that reaction.

AnnikaMittelhauser4E

Re: H.7 Catalysts

Postby AnnikaMittelhauser4E » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 am

Catalysts can work in a variety of ways. One way is as a reactant in an intermediate reaction. A lot of the chemical equations we see are simplified and don't include middle steps. An example is O3 + O --> 2O2. That reaction is catalyzed by Cl and in full it is actually two steps
1. Cl + O3 --> ClO + O2
2. ClO + O --> Cl + O2. Cl is not used up but it was necessary to get the ball rolling.

Another way I understand less, and what I think is happening in this problem, is that transition metals can act as a place for a reaction to happen. They both can easily exchange e- with other atoms, and apparently can absorb small gaseous molecules in a way. So, I think, that they essentially bring the reactants together and sometimes act as an intermediate.

Sartaj Bal 1J

Postby Sartaj Bal 1J » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Also, a catalyst may be identified in a chemical reaction with an element written above the "yield" arrow.

Pipiena Malafu 3J

Postby Pipiena Malafu 3J » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

To add, catalysts typically affect the speed at which reactions occur rather than affecting equilibrium states of reactions.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”