State in chemical reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

emilyyribarren1k
Been upvoted: 1 time

State in chemical reactions

Postby emilyyribarren1k » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Will we be penalized for not including the state of each element in the chemical reactions? It's easier for me to visualize the formula without the extra information but I don't know if that's something that's important to have in the answer.

Melody Wu 2L

Re: State in chemical reactions

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi Emily,
I'm not exactly sure about being penalized but I think it would be a safe bet to include it in your answer at the end. I'm the same way as you so I typically leave them out while working out calculations (especially if there's a lot of different compounds) but I include them again for the final answer.

Nick Pascua 2L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Nick Pascua 2L » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi!

In this class, honestly I'm not so sure but it does depend on the question. But in my AP Chem class, my teacher said it was always necessary (yes I know, kind of extra). I would say to get used to practicing good habits and use the states of each element as a guide to how molecules break down, react, etc. Though if you're usually dealing with numbers and the answers are designated for numbers only, then yes I doubt the states of elements matter.

Maybe in tests though.. you should include them. Good question, I'm wondering if there will be points off for that too!

Janelle Gokim 3B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Janelle Gokim 3B » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi! I think in today's lecture he mentioned that we don't need to write those but just be aware of what they stand for. I'm sure he would clarify this for tests and quizzes.

Jay Solanki 3A

Postby Jay Solanki 3A » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Hey Emily!

So I can recall from the pre-recorded lecture today, specifically the equation in which sodium metal reacts with water, that the states were not 100% necessary. I believe the focus on balancing the chemical equations is to simply do just that. I think the lecture said that if possible, we should include the states, but it is not essential to the process of balancing. Hope this helps!!

Samuel Flores 1E

Postby Samuel Flores 1E » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Hello! I agree with the answers given above. Including the physical state of a substance is not required to balance the chemical equation you are given. You will get the correct balanced equation whether or not you include the physical states (i.e. l, s, g, aq) in the chemical equation.

However, if the problem requires that you include the physical states, I would recommend including the physical state notation in your final answer in order to make sure that you're following the instructions.

Hope this helps!

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D

Postby AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Hello, I believe Dr. Lavelle said that when you know the states of a compound for sure you can write them; for instance if it is a salt, but generally we are not required to know the states of more obscure elements or molecules

Nhu Pham-Dis3G

Postby Nhu Pham-Dis3G » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi! I think that if the question gives the state of the compound that it would be best to include it in the final answer. It also confuses me as I'm working through a problem as well so I usually just leave it out until the very final answer.

SashaAnand2J

Postby SashaAnand2J » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi Emily!
While writing down the physical state of reactants/products may not be important, knowing the physical states of these molecules is definitely helpful (especially if the question is regarding a precipitation reaction). Visualizing the reaction can help you better understand chemical processes. For example, knowing that lead(II) nitrate and sodium iodide form solid lead(II) iodide and aqueous sodium nitrate based on solubility rules may help you identify a precipitation reaction.

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 pm

emilyyribarren1k wrote:Will we be penalized for not including the state of each element in the chemical reactions? It's easier for me to visualize the formula without the extra information but I don't know if that's something that's important to have in the answer.

In my high school class, I would always get docked off 0.5 points if I didn't include the state, but I don't think this class would do that unless explicitly stated.

Mohamed Mido

Postby Mohamed Mido » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 pm

It usually doesn't matter if you include your states of matter unless the question specifies it or your professor prefers it. I don't remember Dr. Lavelle saying that we have to include the states of matter and my TA also said it doesn't matter.

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:56 am

emilyyribarren1k wrote:Will we be penalized for not including the state of each element in the chemical reactions? It's easier for me to visualize the formula without the extra information but I don't know if that's something that's important to have in the answer.

To add on to this question, does anyone have any tips for identifying the state of elements in chemical reactions?
I know that they are given initially in the question but do they remain the same no matter what? Or are there ways to tell if an element has changed its state?

(sorry i don't have that strong of a chemistry background so im missing a lot of the fundamentals)

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:03 pm

LeanneBagood_2E wrote:

To add on to this question, does anyone have any tips for identifying the state of elements in chemical reactions?
I know that they are given initially in the question but do they remain the same no matter what? Or are there ways to tell if an element has changed its state?

(sorry i don't have that strong of a chemistry background so im missing a lot of the fundamentals)

I know that one way to identify the state the elements in chemical reactions is to look at whether or not it is a combustion reaction. If it is, then the second reactant (oxygen) and the other two products (carbon dioxide and water) will be in a gaseous state.

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm

Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong but I believe all ionic compounds are solids. I think they're important when you're trying to contextualize a homework problem and such but I don't think it's necessary to always write them.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”