Whole Number Stoichiometric Coefficients

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Khoa Vu 3l

Whole Number Stoichiometric Coefficients

Postby Khoa Vu 3l » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi! I was just wondering whether or not leaving a fraction as a stoichiometric coefficient would make a balancing chemical reaction problem incorrect. I prefer whole number stoichiometric coefficients myself, but am just asking to be sure. Thank you in advance!

Jonathan Malau 1F

Re: Whole Number Stoichiometric Coefficients

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm

The stoichiometric coefficients must be whole numbers - that's just the preferred convention.

Vanshika Bhushan 1A

Postby Vanshika Bhushan 1A » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:54 pm

The stoichiometric coefficient is written in front of atoms, ion and molecules in a chemical reaction to balance the number of each element on the reactant and product sides of the equation. The stoichiometric coefficients can be fractions, but whole numbers are more commonly used and preferred. This stoichiometric coefficients establish the mole ratio between reactants and products, and having whole number ratios makes for easier conversions.

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Usually when you get fractions for the coefficient, you just have to multiply all the coefficients by its denominator. That way you can get whole numbers for all the coefficients. I don't think anyone ever leaves the fraction as is.

josephspindler2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby josephspindler2H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:51 pm

As a few have already stated, the convention is to make the stoichiometric coefficients whole numbers. I think it generally makes the balanced equation easier to grasp and look neater overall. Having fractions unnecessarily complicates things, but it can be a bit of work to get there depending on the equation in question.

Jalyn Davis 3D

Postby Jalyn Davis 3D » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:21 am

Stoichiometric coefficients should be whole numbers. If a coefficient is a fraction, all coefficients should be multiplied by the denominator of the fraction so they will all be whole numbers.

Postby 605291562 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi! While it's correct to have a fraction, I think it's preferred to change it to a whole number. If it's written as a fraction you just have to multiply through by the denominator which does not take alot of time. I would go better safe than sorry and change to a whole number

Postby 605291562 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi! While it's correct to have a fraction, I think it's preferred to change it to a whole number. If it's written as a fraction you just have to multiply through by the denominator which does not take alot of time. I would go better safe than sorry and change to a whole number

Gustavo_Chavez_1K

Postby Gustavo_Chavez_1K » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

In lecture Lavelle stated that we need to get rid of fractions as stochiometric coefficients should be whole numbers. So I assume that in the homework, exams, and in general we should make it a habit to convert fractions in chemical equations to whole numbers.

Griffin G

Postby Griffin G » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Technically yes it would still be mathematically correct from the surface level. However, if you think about the situation logically, you will realize it's impossible to have half an atom (in that regard), or to just split a molecule down the middle. So, while the math is basically correct, non-whole number stoichiometric coefficients are scientifically illogical and shouldn't be used.

Jordan_OBrien_2k

Postby Jordan_OBrien_2k » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:34 pm

It wouldn't technically be incorrect, but whole numbers are the preferred way of balancing equations. To do this, you can just multiply everything on both sides by the denominator to get rid of the fraction.

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 am

It is much easier to work with whole number in balanced stoichiometric equations, so that is recommended, although fractions in a balanced equation would not technically be wrong, just harder to work out. Dr. Lavelle also mentioned it would be better to use whole numbers when balancing stoichiometric equations.

Adam Bustamante 1I

Postby Adam Bustamante 1I » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 am

I think Dr. Lavelle prefers having all stoichiometric coefficients as whole numbers rather than fractions. You can just multiply the entire balanced equation's coefficients by the fraction's denominator to achieve the whole numbers.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”