Writing chemical formulas based on compound names

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sebastian2I

Writing chemical formulas based on compound names

Postby Sebastian2I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Although Prof. Laurence advised us against fixating upon material outside the realm of the lectures, I have noticed that for many of the textbook problems knowledge of chemical formulas by compound name has been required. How important will it be for us to know how to do this on midterms and the final and what parts of the nomenclature section within the book's fundamentals chapter would be the most important to learn?

Izamary Marquez 2H

Re: Writing chemical formulas based on compound names

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:46 pm

In one of his first lectures, Lavelle mentioned that the chemical formulas will be provided for us in tests.

OwenSumter_2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby OwenSumter_2F » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 am

And also, memorizing the names of chemical formulas is just for quicker work, in actuality it would be nearly impossible to memorize a whole lot of them, so you can eventually know some ones you work with often, but it's not a necessity.

Madeline Ogden 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm

To back up what others are saying, I asked this question in my discussion section last week and my TA said that Dr.Lavelle would provide most of the chemical formulas for compounds on our tests, with the exception of well known ones like water, oxygen, etc.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”