Chemical Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madisen Brown -1C

Chemical Compounds

Postby Madisen Brown -1C » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Is anyone aware if, for MT1, we need to know more complex chemical compounds like sulfite, nitrate, chromate, etc., aside from the basic chemical compounds like water or oxide in the case that we need to write the chemical equation and balance it?

Quinton Sprague 1A

Re: Chemical Compounds

Postby Quinton Sprague 1A » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 pm

I was wondering the same thing. If you check out the post titled "Midterm Nomenclature" it appears to be answered by a TA who says that we will not be expected to know/balance formulas like nitric acid, phosphoric acid, or other compounds as such.

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:50 pm

We do not have to know the nomenclature of compounds, and he doesn't want to make it complicated. According to others, he said that he expects easier/more common ones like H20, CO2, etc. I wouldn't worry about naming and knowing every single compound. :)

Madisen Brown -1C

Postby Madisen Brown -1C » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:54 am

Quinton Sprague 2D wrote:I was wondering the same thing. If you check out the post titled "Midterm Nomenclature" it appears to be answered by a TA who says that we will not be expected to know/balance formulas like nitric acid, phosphoric acid, or other compounds as such.

That's a relief! Thank you

IreneGi2I

Postby IreneGi2I » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:32 am

Yes I have also been told that we will not be required to know how to write complex compounds for the test, but as Dr. Lavelle said in the lecture, I think we have to know how the combustion works! (the reactants and products of combustion reaction)

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”