States of matter in chem equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samin Kabir

States of matter in chem equations

Postby Samin Kabir » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Hello,
When we have to balance chem equations do we have to include the states of matter in all components. Additionally how do we know what state of matter a reactant/product is in?

AdilaAhmed3I

Re: States of matter in chem equations

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Samin Kabir wrote:Hello,
When we have to balance chem equations do we have to include the states of matter in all components. Additionally how do we know what state of matter a reactant/product is in?

I think Lavelle said that he would give us the states of matter of the reactants/products but I am not completely certain. It sometimes is given in the question. For combustion equations, the O2, CO2, and H2O are usually in the same states for these type of equations.

Nan_Guan_1L

Postby Nan_Guan_1L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:39 pm

I think we do need to include the state of matter at the bottom right of each substance. Most of the questions would give you the state of matter, if not I think we can rely on past experience.

Namratha Gujje

Postby Namratha Gujje » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:45 pm

I am pretty sure that we do need to include the states of matters. It will never hurt us if we do. If a compound can be dissolved by water then it is aqueous. For the most part, we need to use out best judgement and any patterns that we notice during previous chemical reactions.

Griffin G

Postby Griffin G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 pm

I believe that when the information of state is given, it is best practice to include it in your balanced equation. Otherwise, I don't think we need to include the state (unless we are for some reason given sufficient information such as temperature and pressure to determine state).

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Yes, when they are given, you should always include the states of matter upon balancing the equations.

Bai Rong Lin 2K

Postby Bai Rong Lin 2K » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm

I believe it would be better to include the state of matter as it quite often appears together while balancing an equation.

Chinmayi Mutyala 3H

Postby Chinmayi Mutyala 3H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:45 pm

I would add it in just to be safe and it should be given in the question.

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Although they should not have much of an effect on your answer, I would put it just in case :)

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Hi! As above posted, I'd definitely try to include them if you can, especially if given the information to do so. Should never hurt your answer.

Brett Lieuallen 2A

Postby Brett Lieuallen 2A » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:29 pm

I do not know that the states of matter is necessary in 14A but it is good to put them in the equations as practice for higher courses

Jaclyn Schwartz 1I

Postby Jaclyn Schwartz 1I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 pm

In chem 14a it hasn't mattered too much if you're keeping track of states. But it is a good habit to get into. For most of the material we are doing now it won't affect your answers. But it will eventually matter later.
Usually most states are given to you in the equation, and if not, it's possible to think them through. They usually are g(gas), l(liquid), s(solid), and aq(aqueous).

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Keeping track of states will be useful when you're doing total/net ionic equations and trying to see if a precipitate is formed.

Dane_Beasley_1E

Postby Dane_Beasley_1E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:32 pm

Keeping track of the states of matter is recommended as it would help you in higher courses of chemistry.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”