Text Book Problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Massimo_Capozza_1G

Text Book Problems

Postby Massimo_Capozza_1G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 pm

For question F3 in the textbook, it asks what the formula for nitric acid is. Will we have to memorize what atoms are present in certain molecules, or are we going to be tested on our ability to right an empirical/molecular formula based on a molecule's name?

F3
a) Write the formula for nitric acid. (b) Without doing a calculation, estimate which element in nitric acid occurs with the greatest mass percentage.

tamara masri_3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Text Book Problems

Postby tamara masri_3D » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Hello! I think someone asked this in one of Professor Lavelle's office hours and he said we're not expected to know the nomenclature stuff yet. I don't think it will be on the first midterm.

Massimo_Capozza_1G

Postby Massimo_Capozza_1G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:55 pm

tamara masri_3D wrote:Hello! I think someone asked this in one of Professor Lavelle's office hours and he said we're not expected to know the nomenclature stuff yet. I don't think it will be on the first midterm.

Thanks!
So basically, all named molecules will be paired with their appropriate molecular formulas?

rita_debbaneh2G

Postby rita_debbaneh2G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Hey! I wouldn't worry about that. We never got a list of any specific compounds or polyatomic ions that we should have down for the course. I don't think we'll be tested on knowing the formulas of random substances we're given on problems.

Noah Ho 1F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Noah Ho 1F » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

I think Mr. Lavelle will talk more about acids and bases and their nomenclature later on in the year when we get to that part in the curriculum. But I do think that there might be some molecules that we might be expected to know the nomenclature for.

tim_villasenor 1k

Postby tim_villasenor 1k » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:43 am

It is definitely helpful to memorize common strong acids/bases. Once you know most of these compounds, you can write out the elements that compose these acids (example: nitric acid). Then, without doing any actual calculations, you can estimate by looking at which atoms have the biggest masses and have the most moles.

kylanjin

Postby kylanjin » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:47 am

It's helpful to memorize common molecules, as it will save time writing them out and be beneficial in the long term. I wouldn't worry too much about it, and also we'll probably use the common polyatomic ions enough that you'll have them memorized eventually anyway.

Anika Scott 3A

Postby Anika Scott 3A » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm

I think that regardless of whether or not it is required, it would be beneficial. It definitely would be a great way to strengthen your skills and prepare you for any incidents where you may use the information.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Hello Massimo,

You will not be required to memorize the formula as in most settings, the formula will be provided to you for you to apply your skills (unless you are solving for the empirical formula).

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”