Writing Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Molly Posta 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Writing Reactions

Postby Molly Posta 1H » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:55 am

One of the questions from the balancing equations post-assessment says:

During a summer camping weekend 4 moles of butane (C4H10) gas were used for cooking. Chose the right balanced equation for the combustion of 4 moles of butane gas. What is the net number of moles of gas produced?

I'm confused about how to write the right side of the reaction. Would it be 4C4H10 + O2, or would you also need to write 4 moles of O2? I tried it the first way and wasn't able to balance the equation, so I'm not sure.

KatarinaReid_3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Writing Reactions

Postby KatarinaReid_3H » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:10 pm

It would be 4C4H10 because it is 4 moles and the stoichiometric coefficients represent numbers of moles. Because oxygen is usually in excess for combustion rxns, then you would have to balance the equation before knowing its coefficient.

Trevor_Ramsey_3H

Postby Trevor_Ramsey_3H » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi,

I think he said in one of his videos that whenever you have a combustion reaction, the products are always CO2 and H2O. So this should help you balance the equation with 4 moles of butane.

angelasavage

Postby angelasavage » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Trevor_Ramsey_2J wrote:Hi,

I think he said in one of his videos that whenever you have a combustion reaction, the products are always CO2 and H2O. So this should help you balance the equation with 4 moles of butane.

Here to confirm this! In a combustion reaction, it's always the compound reacting with O2, and CO2 and H2O are always in the products of the reaction.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”