Labeling Atoms and Molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Carsey 1B

Labeling Atoms and Molecules

Postby Hannah Carsey 1B » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 pm

When balancing chemical reactions, is it important that we label the atoms and molecules with (s), (l), (aq), or (g) right now? I know that in the future this correct labeling will be essential for solving problems that take into account the state of the atom or molecule, but I was just wondering if that was important at the moment?

Irene Kang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Labeling Atoms and Molecules

Postby Irene Kang 3F » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 pm

I don't think it is very important right now or at least until we learn more about the different states, but if the chemical reaction is already given and you were only told to balance it, you should try to label it.

Isabelle Kim 3E

Postby Isabelle Kim 3E » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:52 pm

In the meantime, I don't think this would be too important. However, it certainly is important to keep track of these states as we get into more advanced topics. But honestly, it would be recommended to get into the habit now so that it doesn't get too confusing later on.

Matthew Vu 3C

Postby Matthew Vu 3C » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:14 pm

For the purpose of balancing, I don't think it is important. But later on, it probably will become important to label things as s, l, g, aq for figuring out what forms a precipitate, etc.

Jonathan Alterman 1C

Postby Jonathan Alterman 1C » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi!
While the states of matter do not directly influence the balancing of chemical reactions, the labels are extremely important in understanding how and why the overall reaction is occurring!

Alex_Lee_1K

Postby Alex_Lee_1K » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Although it might not be important now, if possible I would label the states to create a good habit of not forgetting when writing an equation.

Alex_Lee_1K

Postby Alex_Lee_1K » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Although it might not be important now, if possible I would label the states to create a good habit of not forgetting when writing an equation.

madeleinewright

Postby madeleinewright » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:51 pm

I don't think it's important at the moment, though it is important for net ionic equations. Personally, I have not found it necessary to label the state of matter of atoms and molecules to solve the questions we've been given so far.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”