incomplete vs Complete Combustion reaction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kainath Kamil Dis 2K

incomplete vs Complete Combustion reaction

Postby Kainath Kamil Dis 2K » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 pm

I heard Dr. Lavelle say the combustion of butane is an incomplete combustion. What is the difference between incomplete and complete combustion?

Vivek Chotai 2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: incomplete vs Complete Combustion reaction

Postby Vivek Chotai 2C » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:22 pm

I think he meant the combustion of butane CAN be incomplete.

In a complete combustion reaction, you have all the oxygen you need to use all the butane.
In an incomplete combustion reaction, you don't have enough oxygen. I think he mentioned this can lead to different products like carbon monoxide (CO) instead of carbon dioxide (CO2).

Erika Li 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Erika Li 1E » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:43 pm

In a complete combustion, there is a sufficient supply of oxygen to burn the hydrocarbon and it will only produce water and carbon dioxide. In an incomplete combustion, there is an insufficient amount of oxygen and part of the carbon is not completely oxidized, leading to the formation of water, carbon monoxide and/or carbon. Therefore, the combustion of butane can be complete or incomplete depending on the availability of oxygen.

Sidharth Paparaju 3B

Postby Sidharth Paparaju 3B » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:02 pm

An incomplete combustion reaction is where the products include Carbon and or Carbon Monoxide because there is not enough oxygen to "burn", whereas a complete combustion reaction is where only carbon dioxide and water are produced.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”