Compound State in Chemical Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MaiVyDang2I

Compound State in Chemical Equation

Postby MaiVyDang2I » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm

How important is it to include compound states while writing chemical equations? In the textbook homework, some of the questions include compound states and ask us to write the chemical equation but some don't, would we have to know their state ourselves or it would be unnecessary to include the state then? Do we have to include them every time?

gracebinder3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Compound State in Chemical Equation

Postby gracebinder3I » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm

In the past, I've always included states of matter. I think it's important to include if you can. Sometimes, it's not clear if something is aqueous or liquid or gas. If you're unsure, that's OK.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm

It is good practice to always include the state of your material when writing out a chemical reaction. If you are unsure of what the state is while doing homework problems you can google what state that compound is in at room temperature.

Hailey Sarmiento 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Hailey Sarmiento 3E » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:31 pm

In general, it is a good idea to write the state of a reactant or product in a chemical equation because it gives more insight into the physical reaction. Knowing the state of a molecule would be especially important when dealing with net ionic equation and their aqueous reactants and products.

Rachel Fox - 3F

Postby Rachel Fox - 3F » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:56 pm

Knowing the compound state is useful to know and write down for a chemical reaction, as it could be helpful for creating net ionic equations or dealing with multi-step reactions when there are multiple reactants, products, and states of matter to keep track of.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”