Naming Molecules and Molecular Formulas on Midterm?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Tam 3H

Naming Molecules and Molecular Formulas on Midterm?

Postby Jessica Tam 3H » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if we would be expected to know the molecular formulas by the name and vice versa or will they be given on the exam like in textbook problem L.39. For example, we have to derive the empirical formula then name it tin(iv) oxide. If we do need to know it for the exam, how do we know it is tin(iv)?

And for M.7, how do we get the molecular formula for boron oxide or magnesium oxide?

Krutika_Joshi_3I

Re: Naming Molecules and Molecular Formulas on Midterm?

Postby Krutika_Joshi_3I » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:45 pm

I do think he might reference compounds by name and we should know their formulas-- I think it's mostly true for polyatomic ions and their formulas because those show up fairly often and might be good to know.

Jocelynn Franco 1L

Postby Jocelynn Franco 1L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:39 pm

If I remember correctly, my TA said she wasn't totally sure but he's likely going to give us whatever it is we need that we didn't explicitly learn in lecture. So, I'M guessing we would only need to know common molecular formulas glucose, carbon dioxide, water, etc. I MAY be wrong though.

Milli Zunich 3I

Postby Milli Zunich 3I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:05 am

I know it's past the midterm, but as a general rule of thumb, it's good to know a few common ones. My go-to's are usually nitrate and nitrite.

Narin Maisha 2H

Postby Narin Maisha 2H » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Although it's past the midterm, a good rule of thumb is just to know the common ones. If the problem calls for knowing the elements in the empirical or molecular formula, your better off knowing the common ones. We'll eventually learn how to identify and recognize the formulas by name.

Parinita Jithendra 2A

Postby Parinita Jithendra 2A » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:23 am

for the future exams, I would say learn maybe the basic and well known polyatomic ions. I learned some ions based on what was expected of us to know on the textbook problems that were assigned to us in the syllabus, such as nitrate or sulfate

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”