PV=nRT

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JosephLew3C

PV=nRT

Postby JosephLew3C » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:08 pm

When using the ideal gas equation is it more typical to see pressure represented in pascals or atm or does it just vary by situation?

sophianguyen_1N

Re: PV=nRT

Postby sophianguyen_1N » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:08 pm

I believe atms are the most common unit, but it does vary question to question. Make sure to double check the units, because the constant r also depends on the units given.

Ivy Kwok 2I

Postby Ivy Kwok 2I » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:00 pm

I believe that with regards to the ideal gas law, when the gas constant (R) is involved, we would use atmospheres, but in terms of other equations, we calculate using pascals.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 631 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Ivy Kwok 3F wrote:I believe that with regards to the ideal gas law, when the gas constant (R) is involved, we would use atmospheres, but in terms of other equations, we calculate using pascals.

Keep in mind that the gas constant, R, itself can be written using different numbers if the units are different, so this answer isn't entirely correct.

As for the original question, just make sure your units cancel. This is why it's helpful to write units out as well when working out a problem instead of blindly plugging numbers into an equation.

Return to “Ideal Gases”