Quiz 3 Prep

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madison_Moore_1I

Quiz 3 Prep

Postby Madison_Moore_1I » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

On #6 for the first practice quiz, how are we supposed to find which conditions are favored? Is it in the high school review section?

Jimmy Zhou 3D

Re: Quiz 3 Prep

Postby Jimmy Zhou 3D » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:46 pm

The answer to this question would be high temperature and lower pressure. If we look at the Kp equilibrium constant, it would be products/reactants. Since we want this Kp to be low so that the equation favors the products, we would want equilibrium pressure to be lower. For high temp, notice the change in enthalpy is positive which indicates an endothermic reaction (heat absorbing) so we will need high temperature for this reaction to be favored. Hope this helps!

JennaMinami1I

Re: Quiz 3 Prep

Postby JennaMinami1I » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm

To add on to the last comment, when figuring out whether to lower or raise the pressure, it's helpful to look at the # of moles of gas for reactant and products!

Reactants: 2 mols
Products: 3 mols

Increasing pressure shifts the position of the equilibrium to the side with fewer moles of gas, which will increase SO3 production.
By decreasing the pressure, it will shift the position of the equilibrium to the side with more moles of gas, increasing SO2 production
(This is known as Le Chatelier's Principle)

Return to “Ideal Gases”