Chemical equilibrium

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Armani Dodson 1A

Chemical equilibrium

Postby Armani Dodson 1A » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:07 am

Is there only one side to chemical equilibrium? What I mean is that one a chemical reaction reaches equilibrium will it always stay there??

Preet_Bains_1D

Re: Chemical equilibrium

Postby Preet_Bains_1D » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:53 am

It will remain at equilibrium unless some condition of the reaction is changed. For example, if the temperature or pressure is changed then the reaction will move in a certain direction and the same will happen if the concentrations of the reactants or products are changed.

Samuel_Vydro_1I

Postby Samuel_Vydro_1I » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Yes, the aspect of equilibrium can be disturbed or altered momentarily as noted in Le Chatelier's Principle:chemical principle that states that if a system in equilibrium is disturbed by changes in determining factors, such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of components, the system will tend to shift its equilibrium position so as to counteract the effect of the disturbance

Audrey Magsig 1E

Postby Audrey Magsig 1E » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Also note that in chemical equilibrium, though equilibrium is constant, the reaction itself isn't static. There is just movement in the forward and reverse directions

Wenqian_Deng_1L

Postby Wenqian_Deng_1L » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:36 pm

YUP to all the explanations above. When an equation is at equilibrium, it just means that the forward reaction is the same rate as the reverse reaction, and both products and reactants are still being produced.

Return to “Ideal Gases”