Equilibrium Constants

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eric Quach 1C

Equilibrium Constants

Postby Eric Quach 1C » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm

For the equilibrium constant K, how does changing the coefficients in the chemical reaction affect K?
For example, how does doubling each coefficient change the value of K?

Tuong Nguyen 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Equilibrium Constants

Postby Tuong Nguyen 2I » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 pm

If you double the moles of a certain molecule/atom in a chemical reaction, you'll have to take that coefficient and use it as the exponent for the concentration of that respective molecule/atom in the equilibrium constant.

Jennifer Su 2L

Postby Jennifer Su 2L » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:50 pm

This will depend on whether you are changing the coefficient of a reactant or product. Let's say the equilibrium equation has aA and bB as the reactants, and cC as the product, with the lowercased letters representing the coefficients. Therefore, K=(partial pressure of C)^c/(partial pressure of A)^a * (partial pressure of B)^b. If you were to increase the coefficient "c", then the numerator will become significantly larger, so K will be larger. If you were to increase the coefficients "a" or "b", then the denominator will become significantly larger, so K will become smaller.

But since these are equilibrium equations, I don't think you can just change one coefficient without having to change all of the other coefficients. In other words, if you increase one coefficient, you will probably have to increase all the other coefficients as well and so you'll end up with the same K. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Postby 105085381 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pm

By doubling the the number of moles of a specific molecule, do the coefficients and exponents work proportional to one another in order to maintain the equilibrium of K?

taryn_baldus2E

Postby taryn_baldus2E » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:47 pm

These will impact the equilibrium constant because K is the ration of products divided by reactants. The concentration of each component is then multiplied by its stoichiometric coefficient, causing a change to the ratio itself from what would be expected if the coefficients were one.

Return to “Ideal Gases”