Q

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicole Garrido 2I

Q

Postby Nicole Garrido 2I » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm

K is the equilibrium constant, but what is the purpose of finding Q? Specifically why do we use the same formula and what does it mean?

Ethan Yi 1K

Re: Q

Postby Ethan Yi 1K » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 pm

K is the value at equilibrium, while Q is the value or [products]/[reactants] anytime during the reaction.
if K=Q, the reaction is at equilibrium
if K>Q, then [reactants]>[products] and the forward reaction is favored
if K<Q, then [reactants]<[products] and the reverse reaction is favored

I am Sodium Funny

Postby I am Sodium Funny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 am

Q is what the value is, while K is what the value should be at equilibrium. The reaction will shift to reduce the difference until Q=K

Harshita Talkad 4L

Postby Harshita Talkad 4L » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 am

K is calculated with the concentrations of the products and reactants when the reaction is at equilibrium, while Q can be calculated at any point in the reaction, which means the concentrations of the products and reactants can vary at different times in the reaction. Q is compared to K to determine how close a reaction is to being at equilibrium.

armintaheri

Postby armintaheri » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 am

Q is the reaction quotient, which is the concentrations of products over the concentrations of reactants, with the coefficients as exponents. K is just the specific value of Q when the reaction is at equilibrium.

Ryan Troutman 4L

Postby Ryan Troutman 4L » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Q is crucial in finding which way the reaction is moving, whether that be toward the product or the reactants. When we find K we compare that to 1 in order to see whether there are more products or reactants at that moments in the equilibrium state. On the other hand, Q is found at any time before the reaction reaches chemical equilibrium and we compare Q to K in order to see which direction the reaction is moving. If K<Q the reaction moves to the reactants, and if K>Q then the reaction moves toward the products. The most important concept to remember is that we don't compare Q to "1" or any number besides a K value and it's sole purpose is to see which direction the reaction is moving toward, whether that be the products or reactants based on its value compared to K.

Return to “Ideal Gases”