What is the Importance of homogeneous vs heterogeneous equilibria  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

What is the Importance of homogeneous vs heterogeneous equilibria

Postby Andrew F 2L » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Why does it matter if a chemical reaction is a homogeneous or heterogeneous equilibrium? Is it only to differentiate what to include or not include when finding the equilibrium constant?

Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E

Re: What is the Importance of homogeneous vs heterogeneous equilibria

Postby Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:56 pm

From what I understand, yeah, pretty much we learn homogeneous and heterogeneous to know what to include in the K or Q calculations. Because, really, we already recognize the phases of the molecules anyway, it just helps specifying where we include all the concentrations/partial pressures (as we do in homogeneous) and when we don't (in heterogeneous).

Ryan Yee 1J

Re: What is the Importance of homogeneous vs heterogeneous equilibria  [ENDORSED]

Postby Ryan Yee 1J » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Yes, from what I gathered in the lecture, its only purpose is to specify the states of the reactants and products in an equilibrium equation and what to include in a K or Q calculation for an equation.

DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A

Postby DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm

It's also important to note that for a homogeneous gas equilibrium, we can calculate Kp, but we cannot calculate Kp for a heterogeneous equilibrium that involves both gas and aqueous species.

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:19 am

DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A wrote:It's also important to note that for a homogeneous gas equilibrium, we can calculate Kp, but we cannot calculate Kp for a heterogeneous equilibrium that involves both gas and aqueous species.

Thank you for pointing that out! We would have to convert everything into concentrations, not partial pressure, if there are aqueous solutions present.

RobertXu_2J

Postby RobertXu_2J » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 am

I believe the importance of homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibria is that for homogeneous equilibria, you do not have to worry about which of the materials are needed for the equilibria equation, whereas for heterogeneous you have to realize that solids and liquids are excluded.

Justin Quan 4I

Postby Justin Quan 4I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 am

To add on, for a homogeneous gas mixture, we can simply include all the gas species when calculating K or Q. However, if there is a heterogeneous equilibria, chances are there is a solid or liquid species. Hence, you will have to be careful to exclude all liquid and solid species when calculating K or Q.

Ruth Glauber 1C

Postby Ruth Glauber 1C » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:14 am

I think that it's only purpose is to narrow in on the states of the reactants and products in the equilibrium equation, so you know what to include in a K or Q calculation for an equation.

gabbymaraziti

Postby gabbymaraziti » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am

I believe it is important so that we use the correct state when calculated K (using brackets for aqueous reactants/products, P for gaseous reactants/products, and knowing not to include pure solids and liquids in the calculation).

Rodrigo2J

Postby Rodrigo2J » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:20 am

Mostly, the purpose is to help us understand that in phases like solids and liquids we wouldn't use them to calculate K or Q.

Angela Prince 1J

Postby Angela Prince 1J » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Amy Xiao 1I wrote:
DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A wrote:It's also important to note that for a homogeneous gas equilibrium, we can calculate Kp, but we cannot calculate Kp for a heterogeneous equilibrium that involves both gas and aqueous species.

Thank you for pointing that out! We would have to convert everything into concentrations, not partial pressure, if there are aqueous solutions present.

Do you have to use partial pressure to find the equilibrium constant of a homogeneous gas equilibrium reactions or can we use concentration as well?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:50 pm

When dealing with a homogeneous gas equilibrium solving for K means solving in terms of partial pressure, if you were dealing with a homogeneous gas equilibrium and you used concentrations to find the equilibrium constant you would be obtaining Kc.

Kc and Kp are not always equal, you can read more about this in your book in topic 5H.3 (page 411-413)

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Angela Prince 1J wrote:
Amy Xiao 1I wrote:

Do you have to use partial pressure to find the equilibrium constant of a homogeneous gas equilibrium reactions or can we use concentration as well?

I think that since you can use both ways, it will be based on what you are given in the problem and what is more convenient.

Return to “Ideal Gases”