Solids and Liquids  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

McKenna_4A

Solids and Liquids

Postby McKenna_4A » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 am

Why exactly aren't solids and liquids included in equilibrium expressions?

Fiona Latifi 1A

Re: Solids and Liquids  [ENDORSED]

Postby Fiona Latifi 1A » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 am

Solids and liquids are considered pure substances. Therefore they have an activity value of 1. So in equilibrium expressions, we do not include them because their value would just be 1.

Wendy 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Solids and Liquids

Postby Wendy 1E » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 am

It does not make sense for solids to have a concentration since the units for concentration are mol/L. For liquids, the change in concentration is insignificant because the change is very small.

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:12 pm

I agree with Fiona and McKenna! However, I am still confused on the matter of liquids being pure substancews. Can someone clarify how a liquid is different from an aqueous solution and give examples of each? From what I understand, aqueous solutions have a solute and solvent, and liquids do not. Can someone explain this a little more? Thank you!

-Rebecca

KHowe_1D

Postby KHowe_1D » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm

They aren't calculated in equilibrium expressions because they are considered pure substances which don't affect the equilibrium concentration.

Donavin Collins 1F

Postby Donavin Collins 1F » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Since solids and liquids are considered pure substances, they wouldn't affect the equilibrium concentration.

Kayla Maldonado 1C

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Rebecca Remple 1C wrote:I agree with Fiona and McKenna! However, I am still confused on the matter of liquids being pure substancews. Can someone clarify how a liquid is different from an aqueous solution and give examples of each? From what I understand, aqueous solutions have a solute and solvent, and liquids do not. Can someone explain this a little more? Thank you!

-Rebecca

Liquidity is a state of matter where it can flow, takes the shape of its container, and has surface tension. Aqueous is a solution where water is the solvent. “Aqueous” means “similar to,” “related to,” or “dissolved in water.”

Postby 805394719 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Solids and liquids are excluded from the equilibrium constant expression because their concentration equals their density divided by their molar mass. Since the density of a pure solid or liquid is constant regardless of how much solid or liquid is present, their concentrations stay constant throughout the reaction. Because their concentration does not change, they are not included in the equilibrium expression.

Rebecca Remple 1C

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Kayla Maldonado 1A wrote:
Rebecca Remple 1C wrote:I agree with Fiona and McKenna! However, I am still confused on the matter of liquids being pure substancews. Can someone clarify how a liquid is different from an aqueous solution and give examples of each? From what I understand, aqueous solutions have a solute and solvent, and liquids do not. Can someone explain this a little more? Thank you!

-Rebecca

Liquidity is a state of matter where it can flow, takes the shape of its container, and has surface tension. Aqueous is a solution where water is the solvent. “Aqueous” means “similar to,” “related to,” or “dissolved in water.”

Hi Kayla,

Thank you so much for your explanation! It helps a lot :) Good luck on the test and have a great weekend!

-Rebecca

Sanjana Borle 2K

Postby Sanjana Borle 2K » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Also for solids and liquids, pressure does not affect them, in other words they can't be compressed further, whereas gases can.

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Regardless of conditions, solids and liquids will be pure substances with a concentration of 1, so for calculating the equilibrium constant of a reaction, they would have no effect.

Return to “Ideal Gases”