PV = nRT Confusion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexis Robles 2k

PV = nRT Confusion

Postby Alexis Robles 2k » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:33 pm

When do we use PV = nRT, I am confused about what this is for? Can someone explain this? Thanks :)

Hannah Lee 2F

Re: PV = nRT Confusion

Postby Hannah Lee 2F » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm

PV = nRT is the ideal gas law, where P = pressure, V = volume, n = number of moles, R = ideal gas constant, and T = temperature in K. In the context of this unit, we can use it to convert between partial pressures and molar concentrations by rearranging the equation as follows: P = (n/v)RT = (concentration)RT, or vice versa through concentration = P/RT. By doing this, we can convert between Kc and Kp.

Be careful which value of R you use and pay attention to the units by checking whether the pressure is given in atm/bar, mmHg, etc. You can also use the ideal gas equation to convert between any of the variables (pressure, volume, etc).

Sydney Pell 2E

Postby Sydney Pell 2E » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 pm

PV=nRT is the ideal gas equation. it can be used to convert between partial pressure and concentration for a gas, which means it can help us find Kc from Kp and vice versa.

Amy Kumar 1I

Postby Amy Kumar 1I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm

By rearranging the ideal gas equation, n/v can be isolated for which means that the concentration can be calculated for because n/v is the concentration/molarity.

RasikaObla_4I

Postby RasikaObla_4I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 pm

PV=nRT, the ideal gas equation, can be used to solve for any of the values in the equation if a question asks for it or converting between pressure and molarity.

Return to “Ideal Gases”