Ideal Gases: Most Ideal

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

madawy

Ideal Gases: Most Ideal

Postby madawy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Which known gas behaves the most ideally? Why? Is it possible to achieve ideal gas behavior under extreme conditions such as incredible temperatures and pressures?

Eunice Nguyen 4I

Re: Ideal Gases: Most Ideal

Postby Eunice Nguyen 4I » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Helium would be the closest to the most ideal gas, because it exists as a single atom, which makes the Van der Waals dispersion forces as low as possible.

Sue Bin Park 2I

Postby Sue Bin Park 2I » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm

gases behave most ideally when they are as inert and non-interacting as possible. this is why @high temperatures and low pressure they behave most ideally; the potential energy of intermolecular forces is lessened. high temp = greater kinetic energy/moving around faster, and low pressure = less collisions and opportunities to experience vdw forces. by this logic, He is the most ideal gas.

Justin Quan 4I

Postby Justin Quan 4I » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

To add on, generally the rule is that a gas behaves more like an ideal gas at higher temperature and lower pressure. This is because under these conditions, the gas molecules will have little to no intermolecular forces with each other. So it is possible to achieve ideal gas behavior under extreme conditions: incredibly high temperatures and low pressures.

Return to “Ideal Gases”