Compressing a gas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vibha gurunathan 1h

Compressing a gas

Postby vibha gurunathan 1h » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:07 am

If a reaction is compressed, I know that it goes to the side with less molecules of gas, but I don't remember the explanation he used in class. Could someone explain that?

Kevin Antony 2B

Re: Compressing a gas

Postby Kevin Antony 2B » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:28 am

I can't remember the way he taught it in class, but the way I've always thought about it is the gas mixture is attempting to alleviate the increase in pressure as a result of the compression. Because fewer molecules of gas would mean less pressure, the reaction favors the side with fewer moles of gas.

ThomasNguyen_Dis1H

Postby ThomasNguyen_Dis1H » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:38 pm

When a reaction is compressed, you would be lowering the volume therefore increasing the concentration of each reactant and product. Let's say that the reactants have less mols of gas. Since K is products over reactants, the concentration of products would increase a lot more than the increase in reactants therefore the equation would shift towards the reactants.

Jessica Kwek 4F

Postby Jessica Kwek 4F » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:40 pm

After compressing a gas, the reaction would favor the side with less moles of gas because this reduces the number of particles in the gas. Volume and pressure have an inverse relationship.

Juliana Chopelas 1A

Postby Juliana Chopelas 1A » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:07 pm

When you are compressing something, the volume is decreasing therefore there will be a change in concentration so it will shift to the side with less of moles of gas because the concentration is decreasing.

ramiro_romero

Postby ramiro_romero » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Compressing a gas means increasing the concentration of each gas. The reaction would favor the side with less moles of gas because it reduces the number of particles in the gas. Since volume and pressure are inversely related, when compressing a gas you are decreasing the volume and this is why the reaction favors the side with the least amount of moles.

Return to “Ideal Gases”