Inert Gases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Susanna Givan 2B

Inert Gases

Postby Susanna Givan 2B » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 pm

What defines an inert gas? How does it differ from other gases?

Lucy Wang 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Inert Gases

Postby Lucy Wang 2J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 pm

an inert gas is just a gas that does not react in the reaction

Hazelle Gunawan 3G

Postby Hazelle Gunawan 3G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

An inert gas is another name for noble gas, if I remember correctly! They aren't part of the equilibrium reactions so their presence doesn't really change anything.

Savana Maxfield 3F

Postby Savana Maxfield 3F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:20 pm

Yep, inert gases do not undergo chemical reactions under certain conditions.

Sarah Salam 1J

Postby Sarah Salam 1J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:30 pm

They're noble gases! And they're different because they don't react, so they aren't affecting the equilibrium reaction like other gases would.

SamayaJoshi1A

Postby SamayaJoshi1A » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 pm

Why are inert gases only noble gases? Is there a reason these noble gases are the only type of gases that go through the equations where inert gases are present? I am a bit confused.

annabelchen2a

Postby annabelchen2a » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 pm

SamayaJoshi1A wrote:Why are inert gases only noble gases? Is there a reason these noble gases are the only type of gases that go through the equations where inert gases are present? I am a bit confused.

Noble gases (group 18) have filled valence shells/octets (and therefore very high ionization energies) that make them very nonreactive. Inert gases don't undergo chemical reactions under a set of given conditions. The noble gases were previously referred to as inert gases, but this term isn't completely accurate because some of them do take part in chemical reactions (For example, Xe is able to form compounds with fluoride and oxide).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean be "type of gases that go through the equations where inert gases are present" so maybe someone else can help you out with that? But I hope my explanation helped a little bit!

Jaden Haskins 2E

Postby Jaden Haskins 2E » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 pm

SamayaJoshi1A wrote:Why are inert gases only noble gases? Is there a reason these noble gases are the only type of gases that go through the equations where inert gases are present? I am a bit confused.
It is only inert/noble gases that do not change the equilibrium based on Anna's explanation. Any other gas that is put into the reaction does not have that full valence shell, and so the adding the non-inert gas will increase the concentration of the reactants and therefore cause the equilibrium to shift.

Return to “Ideal Gases”