Reading the textbook  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k

Reading the textbook

Postby J_Rodriguez_Dis2k » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 pm

I know that in the course reader it says to read chapter 5 for a review for gases. But every time i try reading the textbook i get intimidated and i stop reading the textbook . Do you guys find it more helpful when you guys read the textbook?

TeaK1C

Re: Reading the textbook

Postby TeaK1C » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:57 pm

I find it helpful to read the book when i don't completely understand a concept, because there are examples in the text as well. Maybe you should try just looking at the examples to see if you understand it and then if you don't reading the explanations around it instead of reading everything in the beginning.

Hayley Hammons 1L

Postby Hayley Hammons 1L » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, I read the textbook and takes notes on information that comes up in the course reader. It takes a while but I find it really helpful for memory because you're writing down key concepts and it provides great examples and explanations that I can associate with concepts to help me remember them. If you don't want to read the whole chapter, there is always a bolded summary of the key concepts after each section in the chapter. For example, section 11.5 in chapter 11 will have a bolded summary separated from the last paragraph at the end. One could probably compile all the summaries to make a great study guide for the final!

Anne Cam 3A

Postby Anne Cam 3A » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:42 pm

The text uses some different symbols from the ones we use and the equations are more advanced which can be intimidating, but it has a lot of useful background information in the actual text portion. The bolded words are also relevant most of the time.

Martha Xuncax 3G

Postby Martha Xuncax 3G » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:50 pm

I personally find it easier to go through the course reader again to fully understand the key concepts, then start the homework, and if I come across concepts that i don't understand, then I go through the textbook to understand the smaller details.

Wesley_Rugen_1E

Postby Wesley_Rugen_1E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I read the book and find it helps a lot when understanding difficult topics. They can use different symbols which can be confusing, but overall it helps me out a lot. Also doing the self-tests when going through the reading give me confidence when learning the content.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 306 times

Re: Reading the textbook  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Several good suggestions here. Focus on the core and then expand.

The core is my lecture notes, examples, and assigned homework, then expand to the textbook for additional examples and details.

Focus on Chemical Equilibrium lecture notes and online modules (videos I made and Q&A).
Then do homework problems and textbook examples.
If you have some difficulty problem solving in this Chemical Equilibrium section then also look at the online Math Resources on my class website.

Additional background reading on Ideal Gases is only suggested if you have some difficulty on how to use PV = nRT for gas-phase reactions in the Chemical Equilibrium section. For example, as discussed in class:

P = n/V (RT) = concentration x RT
This equation allows conversion between concentration and partial pressure for a gas, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Korosh Bahrami

Postby Korosh Bahrami » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I read the textbook for CHEM14A with Professor Li. I usually read it before lectures in order to gain a general understanding of what she was going to talk about in lecture. The key is to slowly read it over a few times until the information gets stuck in your head.

usernamesarehard

Postby usernamesarehard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Are any textbook problems going to be included on the quiz and midterm or are they just going to be problems assigned in the homework? I usually do more than just the assigned problems anyway and sometimes I would find some similar questions during 14A with Lavelle.

Randon_Zahlout_3B

Postby Randon_Zahlout_3B » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I find reading the textbook very helpful. I usually like to do it while completing assigned problems- this way, I can try and learn how to solve a problem by going back and reading relevant sections instead of just trying to read the whole chapter at once without actually practicing any of the material.

Alex Uy 2D

Postby Alex Uy 2D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:07 pm

I think reading the textbook is helpful after going to lecture because sometimes I leave lecture with a lot of unanswered questions and the textbook helps expand on details. It does get to be quite confusing sometimes though. Going to the peer facilitated learning sessions are also very helpful to me usually.

Tycho_Meimban_2B

Postby Tycho_Meimban_2B » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:23 am

When reading the textbook I make sure that I not only read what is important, but also jot it down in a notebook, such as a definition (unless it is something that Dr. Lavelle does not mention) or a formula, even if it is a derived formula. I feel like reading the textbook is very helpful, if you know how to read a college textbook properly. Obviously, there's so much to read, and you cannot take notes on everything (unless you REALLY have the free time to do so, which I believe is impossible), so just look at what's important.

Hope this helps!

Amy_Bugwadia_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amy_Bugwadia_3I » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 am

I read the textbook to prepare for Quiz 1, and what I found to be very helpful was to make my own formula sheet separated by subject (based on each section of the book). For example, I had one section devoted to enthalpy, one to entropy, one to Gibbs, etc. I also find highlighting very useful, but I definitely recommend only highlighting the super crucial information to avoid an overload of colors. Also, only highlighting the salient information helps your brain stay engaged with the reading. In addition to the homework problems assigned at the end of the chapter, I went through the self-test and checkpoint questions throughout the chapter, which were very useful particularly because they had step-by-step explanations.

shreya_mantri_3I

Postby shreya_mantri_3I » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Just a question? Are some of the formulae in the textbook different from the formulae in the course reader? Speaking from experience, i usually find that reading different formulae really confuses me.

s_pinto2e

Postby s_pinto2e » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Yes, I think some of the formulae are a bit different but not by much. For example in the specific heat equation, n is used for grams in the course reader whereas it is given as g (for grams) in the textbook.

Postby 904571591 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

I think read the textbook is needed if you have time. Our lecture goes really fast and no one can get all the point in the lecture, so reading the textbook and try to understand better is necessary. It is also a good way to review.

Phillip Tran

Postby Phillip Tran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 pm

I should start reading the textbook more...

Jessica Wakefield 1H

Postby Jessica Wakefield 1H » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 pm

To prepare for our test yesterday, I used the modules and also took notes on the suggested textbook readings. I think that taking notes on the textbook sections aided in my understanding in addition to the modules. I did find the modules more helpful and more engaging, though.

Jessica Wakefield 1H

Postby Jessica Wakefield 1H » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

To prepare for our test yesterday, I used the modules and also took notes on the suggested textbook readings. I think that taking notes on the textbook sections aided in my understanding in addition to the modules. I did find the modules more helpful and more engaging, though.

Janet Nguyen 2H

Postby Janet Nguyen 2H » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm

I think reading the textbook would be helpful even if you don't understand it. That way you get a taste of the material so during class the lecture will flow better.

Richard Braun 1I

Postby Richard Braun 1I » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I find reading the textbook helpful to gain a base understanding of the concepts, making solving the homework problems easier.

Richard Braun 1I

Postby Richard Braun 1I » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I find reading the textbook helpful to gain a base understanding of the concepts, making solving the homework problems easier.

Mitch Walters

Postby Mitch Walters » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I find reading the textbook to be invaluable.

Peter Dis1G

Postby Peter Dis1G » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

Reading textbook+watching online sources are helpful to me. Only reading the textbook gains little help.

Mishta Stanislaus 1H

Postby Mishta Stanislaus 1H » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I️ think the best way to approach the textbook is by using the lecture notes as a sort of outline for the book. That way you can focus on the relevant informations as delivered in class. This method weeds out some of the overly complex detail in the textbook. Hope that helps!

Karen Zheng_2H

Postby Karen Zheng_2H » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46 am

These methods really helped, thank you!!

AlyssaRivera

Postby AlyssaRivera » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 am

How useful is studying from the textbook in regards to test taking? Are tutoring/lecture notes better to study from?

Mjay 1F

Postby Mjay 1F » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm

AlyssaRivera wrote:How useful is studying from the textbook in regards to test taking? Are tutoring/lecture notes better to study from?

One of my friends who took this course last quarter said that it was helpful to study from the textbook only if you need further explanation but not to always use it because it does have different variables than from class sometimes which will overwhelm you!

Nienjou Claire 1E

Postby Nienjou Claire 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 pm

I think reading the textbook definitely helps. Personally, I feel like it gives me a better overview of the big topics I am supposed to be learning. Professor Lavelle's lecture tend to be a little more focused on one specific topic and one specific example so I read the textbook to link ideas together and also to see more examples that are worked out step by step. I do usually skip the parts that we don't have to know/learn about.

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 pm

I find it tiresome to read the entire chapter in one night. Personally, I find the textbook useful so far as my chem background is not the best. I typically try to read the textbook in different sections and go to office hours if I am really confused.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 306 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Reading the textbook can only help in further providing you with additional understanding.

Erin Li 1K

Postby Erin Li 1K » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 am

I get overwhelmed and intimidated when reading the textbook too, so I would recommend only doing so when you have your full attention to the book and no other distractions.

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm

I have the Pdf of the textbook and I also get overwhelmed reading it.
I do want to ask if the textbook would be recommended rather than reading it from the Pdf?

Angelica Garcia 1-H

Postby Angelica Garcia 1-H » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm

is it helpful to work out the problems in the textbook from the chapter?

Gabi Landes 1-H

Postby Gabi Landes 1-H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 am

Personally I would only work out the pre & post module questions along with the assigned homework problems. Dr. Lavelle seems to do a good job of making what he wants you to know clear. If you try to do all the problems in the chapter you'll probably get overwhelmed.

Angelica Garcia 1-H wrote:is it helpful to work out the problems in the textbook from the chapter?

Amir Akhavan 1E

Postby Amir Akhavan 1E » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

I feel that reading the textbook is very helpful in getting a better understanding of the topics in much more detail. Although it seems intimidating at first, it is readable and highly recommended.

yazminedesan1F

Postby yazminedesan1F » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm

what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

princessturner1G

Postby princessturner1G » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

yazminedesan1F wrote:what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

Completing the pre-assessment and the post-assessment are extremely helpful. I recommended doing these and watching the videos as well.

Yitzchak Jacobson 1F

Postby Yitzchak Jacobson 1F » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm

In my opinion I feel like the textbook can be very helpful when filling in gaps for chemistry topics to get more clarity. with that said, when I have difficulty understanding certain concepts that Professor Lavelle covers, I find it very useful to watch is lectures online first, and then reading the textbook. I really hope this helps :)

Megan Phan 1K

Postby Megan Phan 1K » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 pm

In my own experience, reading the textbook helps me to clear up any confusions I have. When you already have the foundations from going to lecture down, reading the textbook solidifies any small misconceptions or reaffirms what you know. It's good to read it in order to absolutely make sure you are on the right track, when in doubt, reading it helps.

Taizha 1C

Postby Taizha 1C » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

105012653 1F

Postby 105012653 1F » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:13 am

Taizha 1C wrote:Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

I think using the course reader and taking advantage of the Peer Learning Sessions are really helpful, especially since my friends who had the class before really recommend it.

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:22 pm

How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

yazminedesan1F

Postby yazminedesan1F » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Jocelyn1B wrote:How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

typically I set a certain amount of time each week just for chemistry, at least three times a week while also studying for a test the week before so I don't get overwhelmed

ElizabethP1L

Postby ElizabethP1L » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:12 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle is very thorough when it comes to explaining things, so maybe just use the textbook to brush up on something or for diagrams/visuals. Sometimes the practice problems throughout the chapter are good for solving the math in the exercises. Hope this helped! :)

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am

yazminedesan1F wrote:
Jocelyn1B wrote:How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

typically I set a certain amount of time each week just for chemistry, at least three times a week while also studying for a test the week before so I don't get overwhelmed

Thank you!

Nimrat Brar 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nimrat Brar 1E » Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 am

yazminedesan1F wrote:what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

As someone who is also not very familiar with the chemistry concepts, I have found that watching the modules that Dr. Lavelle has posted online are extremely helpful. While watching them, I suggest to also take notes so you do not miss any of the important topics discussed. Additionally, reading through the textbook for further clarification on the lectures has proved to be a successful studying method for me! If you need a more simple basis to go from, I would also recommend Crash Course videos on specific topics as well as Khan Academy videos. Hope this helps.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 3:32 pm

I feel as though reading the textbook is not necessarily necessary, but I do find how it works through example problems helpful in particular.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 3:34 pm

yazminedesan1F wrote:

I try to go to the peer review sessions before each test.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Taizha 1C wrote:Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

Looking at the tests from fall quarter as extra practice can be really useful

Angelica Garcia 1-H

Postby Angelica Garcia 1-H » Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm

maybe he has tests in the test bank

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 pm

How many peer review sessions does one go to?

MinyoungHong_1L

Postby MinyoungHong_1L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:48 pm

As someone who just completed the course, I would say that the textbook can be a helpful tool in understanding the course topics within a bigger picture. Personally, I missed several classes (which I do not recommend), and the textbook helped me understand the material that I missed.

Kevin Arokiaraj 4E

Postby Kevin Arokiaraj 4E » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Personally, I like reading the textbook to view the example problems. However, I feel that I understood the concepts better watching Professor Lavelle's modules and KhanAcademy.

Quinn_Simpson_3D

Postby Quinn_Simpson_3D » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 am

Reading the textbook can be helpful because even if you don't fully understand it, you will have an idea of what is going to be taught in class. For me, this helps create a deeper understanding than when I just listen to the lecture and then do the homework.

Avery Zuelch 1D

Postby Avery Zuelch 1D » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I read the textbook after a lecture when I don't fully understand the topic while discussed in class. While the book uses some different symbols/terms than in lecture, I find that reading the book explains the material in an alternate fashion, which sometimes helps.
However, I always go on Dr. Lavelle's page and watch his outlines videos. Those prove to be the most helpful to me.

Nicolle Fernandez 3E

Postby Nicolle Fernandez 3E » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm

I think reading the textbook is helpful when I do not understand the concept because it is like a reinforcement of the material because sometimes I do not fully understand something the first time. I also like to watch the modules to reinforce the textbook, and I like to review my notes as well.

Janelle Magaling 3L

Postby Janelle Magaling 3L » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 pm

I think it's helpful reading the textbook for example problems. Usually I would go over my notes from lecture and watch the modules and take notes. The textbook is really helpful for homework help because the textbook gives step by step answers to different types of homework problems. Basically focus on the examples, toolboxes, and vocabulary.

taline_n

Postby taline_n » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm

I think viewing the video modules is the best way to review topics you didn't understand in lecture; as far as the textbook goes, it's a great resource for more examples and longer descriptions/definitions of terms and concepts!

Postby 905092269 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 pm

I would recommend reading the textbook and taking notes on key topics or anything you have a hard time understanding. I would also recommend doing the homework problems because I have noticed that helps me the most. I definitely think that the textbook is a useful resource and you should try to read it as much as you can.

Ashley P 4I

Postby Ashley P 4I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:58 am

Does anyone know the reading schedule? I have no idea where to look for it so I've just been reading whole chapters on the topics we have been discussing in class.

AustinGrove3B

Postby AustinGrove3B » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:52 am

The reading schedule is in the same outline as the homework problems. As a general rule, Dr. Lavelle tells us to read all the parts of the chapter that we are doing homework problems for.

Return to “Ideal Gases”