Reading the textbook  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Fang 3J

Re: Reading the textbook

Postby Ashley Fang 3J » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Personally I find that every time I read the textbook, I tend to fall asleep because it's just that long and boring, especially when you're new to the material.
What I usually will do however is take notes of the summary and important formulas/equations. Once I have grasped the basic concepts, I will then go back to read the book in chunks for further explaining. Otherwise, reading it all at once does get pretty intimidating.
Hope that helped!

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 pm

I believe the material is based on what is covered in class, but the textbook gives you more applications and examples to help better understand the topics.

selatran1h

Postby selatran1h » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

I personally think reading the textbook helps a lot since it helps to clarify certain conceptual topics that are difficult or were not covered as much in lecture. The textbook also has a lot of sample problems that are helpful when doing homework.

Kavee Dodampahala 4E

Postby Kavee Dodampahala 4E » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Reading the textbook helps me understand the concepts at my own pace. I find it really useful!

Angela Prince 3B

Postby Angela Prince 3B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 pm

ktran Disc 1I wrote:Are there a lot of topics in the book that are not covered during lecture that show up on tests?

I don't think so. I think everything that will be on a test will be covered in lecture or otherwise noted in the outlines for each topic.

AveryAgosto

Postby AveryAgosto » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 am

I would recommend reading the textbook to facilitate what is taught in lecture. If you don't feel confident about a certain topic reading the chapter and reading along with the examples in the chapter is really helpful.

BSolano_3A

Postby BSolano_3A » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Honestly I personally skim it over and just try to teach myself online through youtube, khan academy, and websites as such. Don't let fear get in the way of you achieving what you want. Head up mate and keep grinding.

Jose Robles 1D

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Honestly I feel the same way when engaging in reading, but I find study groups make the experience more bearable. When I'm with a few committed friends I feel relaxed and motivated to finish the readings. Plus, if you don't get something you can just ask them on the spot to discuss key ideas.

Alan Cornejo 1a

Postby Alan Cornejo 1a » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Jessica Li 1F wrote:I used these for my AP Chemistry class in high school, but I think they have some college-level chem as well:
https://chem.libretexts.org/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWpbFLzoYGPfuWUMFPSaoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKnq9QM6_A&list=PLJfwA7_CzYE_qLSXH2hJkpffcrc76NjHJ

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the links provided !

Postby 005162520 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:10 pm

When reading from the textbook, what should you take notes on? Or rather what should you focus on?

Liliana Aguas 3G

Postby Liliana Aguas 3G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:16 pm

What do you guys recommend when reading the textbook? Because it can get really confusing and I don't understand what to take notes on. Also, should we read them before class and take notes or after lecture?

Jasmine Kim 3H

Postby Jasmine Kim 3H » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm

005162520 wrote:When reading from the textbook, what should you take notes on? Or rather what should you focus on?

It's different for everyone. I usually focus on the bolded words and formulas since those are usually what we have to know. However, if I don't understand something, I read the paragraphs that cover the topic and maybe look at an example for it. I also like looking at the pictures and diagrams on the side and reading the captions, partly because my eye just immediately goes towards those when I look at a new page. Diagrams are usually helpful because they visualize the concepts we're learning and I like visual learning.

Jasmine Kim 3H

Postby Jasmine Kim 3H » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Liliana Aguas 3G wrote:What do you guys recommend when reading the textbook? Because it can get really confusing and I don't understand what to take notes on. Also, should we read them before class and take notes or after lecture?

I think we can read the textbook whenever we want. If you prefer to learn the topics on your own and have the lectures reinforce your knowledge, then read them before class. If you like to learn from the professor first and then read over the topics to review or answer any questions you had during the lecture, then after. If you don't know yet, try each method for a week and see which one you prefer. Same for the textbook notes. Just figure out what works for you. You can take notes on everything, or maybe just the stuff you think you'll have a hard time remembering.

If you can't really understand the textbook, just use other methods of learning, like Khan Academy or other websites. Use the textbook or lecture notes to figure out what topics you need to know, and then learn about them from another source.

Megan_1F

Postby Megan_1F » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am

I tried reading the textbook but I find that a lot of the material is more detailed than what we were taught in class. Should we base our material off of lecture or the textbook?

Rich Zodda 4B

Postby Rich Zodda 4B » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Are the lectures enough for the midterms or are we expected to read from the textbook too?

Alan Cornejo 1a

Postby Alan Cornejo 1a » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:59 pm

reading the textbook is an obvious super helpful tool, to better go in depth as to what you are learning and practice.

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Not necessarily but some topics are laid out differently which helps with understanding lecture material.

Angela Prince 3B

Postby Angela Prince 3B » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 pm

KTran 1I wrote:Are there a lot of topics in the book that are not covered during lecture that show up on tests?

I don't think topics not covered during lecture will ever show up on any exam.

Angela Prince 3B

Postby Angela Prince 3B » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Are the hw problems for week 5 from the quantum topic set still or from the chemical bonds set?

Yailin Romo 1B

Postby Yailin Romo 1B » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm

I find it most helpful when I Read the textbook because it has detailed explanations of how to carry out out the problems along with examples, steps, and answers. Yes, it is overwhelming at time but what I try to do is learn or read one section per day so I dont stress about having to read and learn all of them at once.

CMaduno_3D

Postby CMaduno_3D » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 am

From what I have seen, the topics covered in lecture correlate to what appears on the test. If anything, the textbook may go into more detail than need, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, in terms of maximizing studying, I would rely more on the notes from lecture. Hope this helps!

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:28 am

I also find it intimidating to read the textbook for review, I find one way to motivate yourself to do so is to read a page then look up videos on that subject to make sure you understand it, and then continue reading.

Areli C 3L

Postby Areli C 3L » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm

I've definitely have been in your shoes before. If the reading feels a intimidating, you should watch some youtube videos first about the concept so you won't go in blind. After that, as you go back to the reading it will feel more familiar and less intimidating!

Jade Hinds 3G

Postby Jade Hinds 3G » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:34 pm

going to be honest, I only use the textbook to get homework/practice problems. to me, too much reading makes it confusing, so I mainly utilize my lecture notes and do lots of practice.

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 pm

guys i really recommend watching videos, esp my visual learners. start problems and try doing them without notes and then watch videos if you're really stuck.

Liliana Aguas 3G

Postby Liliana Aguas 3G » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:45 pm

Jasmine Kim 3H wrote:
Liliana Aguas 3G wrote:What do you guys recommend when reading the textbook? Because it can get really confusing and I don't understand what to take notes on. Also, should we read them before class and take notes or after lecture?

I think we can read the textbook whenever we want. If you prefer to learn the topics on your own and have the lectures reinforce your knowledge, then read them before class. If you like to learn from the professor first and then read over the topics to review or answer any questions you had during the lecture, then after. If you don't know yet, try each method for a week and see which one you prefer. Same for the textbook notes. Just figure out what works for you. You can take notes on everything, or maybe just the stuff you think you'll have a hard time remembering.

If you can't really understand the textbook, just use other methods of learning, like Khan Academy or other websites. Use the textbook or lecture notes to figure out what topics you need to know, and then learn about them from another source.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

RichBollini3C

Postby RichBollini3C » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:03 am

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k wrote:I know that in the course reader it says to read chapter 5 for a review for gases. But every time i try reading the textbook i get intimidated and i stop reading the textbook . Do you guys find it more helpful when you guys read the textbook?

Yes, although I would agree sometimes it is confusing, it is also good to look over the text book. Looking at the practice problems also helps.

RichBollini3C

Postby RichBollini3C » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:04 am

Jaklin Astvatsatryan wrote:guys i really recommend watching videos, esp my visual learners. start problems and try doing them without notes and then watch videos if you're really stuck.

this really helped me, thank you!

Naren_Ramesh_4D

Postby Naren_Ramesh_4D » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 pm

I personally would recommend going over the textbook. Although there are some topics are not covered in the scope of the class, the textbook presents a different way of looking at a concept.

Postby 505106414 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I have had a problem on a test that had an answer that was only covered in the textbook, not in lecture at all. So, I would say definitely at least skim the textbook chapters.

Return to “Ideal Gases”