When do we use PV=nRT for Chem Equilibrium?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jon Phan 1B

When do we use PV=nRT for Chem Equilibrium?

Postby Jon Phan 1B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:52 pm

When do we use PV=nRT for Chemical Equilibrium questions. What is an example of a question where we would need to use the ideal gas law?

Ayaan_Ekram_2J

Re: When do we use PV=nRT for Chem Equilibrium?

Postby Ayaan_Ekram_2J » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 pm

Hello!

I believe in this course the most common example of when we may need to use PV=nRT is if we are asked to find an equilibrium constant, but instead of being given just concentrations to find KC or just partial pressures to find KP, we are given a combination of partial pressures and concentrations. As a result, one would have to use PV=nRT to convert all values to either concentrations or partial pressures. I hope this helps!

Wesley Zhou 1F

Postby Wesley Zhou 1F » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 pm

PV=nRT shows us the relationship between a gas' pressure and its concentration/temperature within a system.

I think a good example of a question in which we need to use the ideal gas law is when dealing with answers that require you to convert concentration into pressure. Like, when you do an ICE box and convert the solved equilibrium values into pressure before plugging it into the K expression.

MaiVyDang2I

Postby MaiVyDang2I » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 pm

I don't think we have to use the PV=nRT equation for calculating K unless they ask specifically for Kp or to calculate Kp when given concentration.

Matthew Nguyen 2F

Postby Matthew Nguyen 2F » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 am

I think PV=nRT is used in order to find the pressure of gases in order to find the Kp of a certain reaction. Rearrange the equation and you get P=(n/V)RT.

Quynhanh Nguyen 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Quynhanh Nguyen 1C » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 am

Hi! We use PV = nRT when we're not given substances with uniform units. We could either rearrange the equation to n/V = P/RT in order to get molarity or P = (nRT)/V in order to get partial pressure. Hope that helps!

Aryan Gajjar 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Aryan Gajjar 3D » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:09 am

When you have three of the four parameters of a gas: pressure, volume, number of moles, and temperature, use this equation.

Irene Kim 3E

Postby Irene Kim 3E » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:10 pm

We use this equation most often when multiple variables are involved (i.e., pressure, volume, molar concentration, and/or temperature). For example, when we derive an answer in terms of pressure but we want to convert it to molar concentration, we can rewrite the equation as P = (n/V)RT where P is pressure and concentration is n/V (number of moles per unit of volume).

Shreya Arcot 3K

Postby Shreya Arcot 3K » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 pm

We can use this equation to find the concentration of gases:

PV = nRT
*divide both sides by V (volume)
P = (nRT)/V
*the n/V on the right side of the equation is mol/L (concentration). when we isolate the n/V, we get:
(n/V) = (mol/L) = P/(RT)

Xzandalyn Kallstrom 2C

Postby Xzandalyn Kallstrom 2C » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:26 pm

You don’t really need to use PV=nRT for equilibrium problems, you use PV=nRT to find any missing values in the equation. You can only use the ideal gas law equation if you are only missing one value, for example if you are given the volume, mols, and temperature, you can find the pressure by rearranging the equation to be P=nRT/V and solving for P. You only need to use PV=nRT when being asked to find the equilibrium constant in some problems.

Angela Harrington 2L

Postby Angela Harrington 2L » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:28 pm

In chemical equilibrium questions, you will most often use PV=nRT to convert between Kp (for partial pressure) and Kc (molar concentration) equilibrium constants.

Return to “Ideal Gases”