New Research on Hydrogen Bonding

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

New Research on Hydrogen Bonding

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 pm

In Chem 14A last quarter, Fall 2020, I commented that H-bonds have covalent bond characteristics.

This Jan 7, 2021 publication discusses new research showing how hydrogen bonds become more like covalent bonds:

https://cen.acs.org/physical-chemistry/ ... mpaign=CEN

Uyen Trinh 3C

Re: New Research on Hydrogen Bonding

Postby Uyen Trinh 3C » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:28 am

Super interesting read! The covalent H-bond hybrid slightly reminds me of the existence of the intermediate structure rather than resonance structures of benzene and other molecules or ions that share their double or triple bonds. For example, instead of there being one double bond and two single bonds between the carbon and oxygens of a carbonate ion (CO32-), the ion has an intermediate structure that is an average of the three resonance structures where experimentally all C–O bond lengths are identical.

Yet again, new research and technological advances make it possible for us to question what is in our textbooks... maybe in a few years, the definitive distinction between hydrogen bonds and covalent bonds will become obsolete or at the very least outdated. Also, I'm excited to see how the covalent H-bond hybrid changes our experiments in aqueous chemistry.

Annika Tamaki 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: New Research on Hydrogen Bonding

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing :)

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”