Boiling Point Temps N2, O2, NO

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Erika Patel 3I

Boiling Point Temps N2, O2, NO

Postby Erika Patel 3I » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:01 am

What would be the order of increasing boiling point temperatures for N2, O2 and NO? I understand that NO would have the highest boiling point because it experiences dipole-dipole forces. To determine the difference between N2 and O2 we would look at size since the larger molecule would be more polarizable. However, I am not sure which is larger, since oxygen atoms have a smaller atomic radius than nitrogen atoms but oxygen has a larger molar mass. Thanks!

oliviageronimo

Re: Boiling Point Temps N2, O2, NO

Postby oliviageronimo » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 am

Oxygen has a higher boiling point because it is more electronegative. The LDF forces between O2 molecules are stronger than those between N2 because of this.

Damian Valle Garcia 3I

Re: Boiling Point Temps N2, O2, NO

Postby Damian Valle Garcia 3I » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm

Hello, the order of increasing boiling points is N2<O2<NO, with NO having the highest boiling point because of its dipole-dipole forces, and O2 having a higher boiling point than N2 due to stronger London dispersion forces because of its larger molar mass.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”