Electron density fluctuation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LedaKnowles2E

Electron density fluctuation

Postby LedaKnowles2E » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty sure Prof. Lavelle said that induced dipole attraction is caused when by chance, the electrons of an atom/molecule are condensed more on one side of the atom, making one side negative and the other positive, which attracts them to other atoms/molecules...what I'm confused about is that since the fluctuation of electron density happens so rapidly, wouldn't the attraction only last for an instant? Why is there continued attraction to other atoms/molecules if the electrons only cause a momentary charge difference?

rikolivares

Re: Electron density fluctuation

Postby rikolivares » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:06 pm

I'm assuming that because the fluctuation is so quick, the electrons are virtually everywhere at the same time and polarizing every atom. In other words, it does not matter if electron density only momentarily makes one side of the atom negative because those electrons will be back on that side in a moment so it's like they never left and never stopped making that one side more negative, meaning that the electrons are doing their best to polarize everywhere as simultaneously as possible.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”