Hydrogen Bonds vs. Ion-Dipole Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mindy Kim 4C

Hydrogen Bonds vs. Ion-Dipole Bonds

Postby Mindy Kim 4C » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Why are hydrogen bonds stronger than ion-dipole interactions? I would have thought an interaction involving an ion would be much stronger than a hydrogen bond.

Emilee Hosking 1D

Re: Hydrogen Bonds vs. Ion-Dipole Bonds

Postby Emilee Hosking 1D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 pm

I think the reason for this is the way that the electrons are distributed within the elements. The hydrogens have a more polar bond, so their electrons are distributed in a way that causes their bond to be stronger, whereas the ion-dipole bond has a greater distance between their electrons so their bond is weaker. It may be helpful to consider the size of the atoms too, smaller atoms (hydrogen) would have stronger bonds, and larger atoms would have a weaker bond.

Aria Soeprono 2F

Postby Aria Soeprono 2F » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 pm

The greater electronegativity of the hydrogen bond acceptor makes hydrogen bonds very strong. Hydrogen bonds are a form of dipole-dipole bonding, but it is stronger than other dipole-dipole interactions due to the electronegativity and the size is very small, allowing the H atoms to be closer to each other.

Francis_Nguyen3D

Postby Francis_Nguyen3D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I believe the reason why Hydrogen Bonds are stronger than ion-dipole interactions is because Hydrogen bonds involve greater differences in electronegativity. This can then create a large electric dipole of positive and negative charges.

Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B

Postby Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

I know this topic has already been discussed thoroughly, but I always thought of hydrogen bonds as the "stronger of the weaker bonds" and the "weaker of the stronger bonds". The accuracy of this statement may be questionable, but it is a way I have always thought of hydrogen bonds in comparison to other bonds.

Phoebe Chen 4I

Postby Phoebe Chen 4I » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm

The hydrogen bond is very electronegative which makes it very strong. Hydrogen bonds are a type of dipole-dipole bond but are so prevalent in nature that they get their own classification.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”