Intermolecular Forces

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claire Guo 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Intermolecular Forces

Postby Claire Guo 1B » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Which force is stronger, Van der Waals forces or Dispersion Forces?

Schuyler_Howell_4D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Intermolecular Forces

Postby Schuyler_Howell_4D » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:59 pm

I also have a follow-up question to this... In class, we talked about how those forces would be interchangeable with dipole-induced dipole interactions. Does this mean they are the same or for sake of simplicity we treat them the same way?

Sona Hakobyan 3J

Postby Sona Hakobyan 3J » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:05 pm

I thought these are both names, in addition to some others, for the same forces--and therefore the same strength. I'm not 100 percent sure. Anyone know for sure?

Matthew Tran 1H

Postby Matthew Tran 1H » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:25 pm

In lecture, Dr. Lavelle said that we could use the following terms interchangeably: London forces, dispersion forces, van der Waals forces, and induced dipole-induced dipole (NOT dipole-induced dipole; this interaction is between a molecule with permanent dipole that induces a dipole in the nonpolar molecule it is interacting with). I believe they are all the same in the context of this class; however, one confusing thing I noticed in the textbook was that they seemed to classify all IMFs as van der Waals interactions. I personally prefer to use the term London dispersion forces.
Last edited by Matthew Tran 1H on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthony_trieu2L

Postby anthony_trieu2L » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Yes, Van der Waals forces and London dispersion forces are used interchangeably and are therefore the same strength. They are the weakest intermolecular forces between molecules.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”