Intermolecular forces and melting/boiling points

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

harperlacroix1a

Intermolecular forces and melting/boiling points

Postby harperlacroix1a » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm

How does hydrogen bonding, LDF forces, and dipole dipole interactions affect the melting and boiling points of molecules? does it have to do with the electronegativity or strong/weakness of the force?

Jonathan Pai 2I

Re: Intermolecular forces and melting/boiling points

Postby Jonathan Pai 2I » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Dipole Dipole is molecules having a concentration of charge in a certain area due to polarity, which allows for greater attraction with another molecule that has its charges concentrated in certain areas. Hydrogen bonding is just super strong Dipole Dipole because of the Hydrogen with very electronegative elements, F O N. Same with London's cause attraction with nearby molecules but much weaker because London's are random. That level of attraction causes higher melting and boiling points to break the attractions.

harperlacroix1a

Postby harperlacroix1a » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Jonathan Pai 4A wrote:Dipole Dipole is molecules having a concentration of charge in a certain area due to polarity, which allows for greater attraction with another molecule that has its charges concentrated in certain areas. Hydrogen bonding is just super strong Dipole Dipole because of the Hydrogen with very electronegative elements, F O N. Same with London's cause attraction with nearby molecules but much weaker because London's are random. That level of attraction causes higher melting and boiling points to break the attractions.

so higher levels of attraction (hydrogen and dip dip) equal a higher melting and BP?

Max Hayama 4K

Postby Max Hayama 4K » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, the higher attractions between molecules due to intermolecular forces, the higher the melting and boiling points will be!

Kelsey Warren 1I

Postby Kelsey Warren 1I » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Another easy way to think about this is that increasing the strength of intermolecular attractions is like a bunch of molecules holding on tighter and tighter to each other. If they're holding on really tightly, it becomes very difficult for one to escape the others, therefore it takes more energy to break one molecule off from the others/ the boiling and melting points are raised.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”