Is Hydrogen Bonding a type of Dipole-Dipole Interaction?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joussie Camacho 4I

Is Hydrogen Bonding a type of Dipole-Dipole Interaction?

Postby Joussie Camacho 4I » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm

So is hydrogen bonding just a specific type of dipole-dipole interaction? If so, if we say two molecules have hydrogen bonding, then is it implied that there are dipole-dipole interactions between them also so that we don't have to state that explicitly?

timschaeffer Dis 1J

Re: Is Hydrogen Bonding a type of Dipole-Dipole Interaction?

Postby timschaeffer Dis 1J » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 pm

yes, hydrogen bonding is just a specific category under the larger umbrella of dipole-dipole interactions. If you say that hydrogen bonding exists between two molecules, then it generally goes without saying that there is an intermolecular dipole-dipole force between the molecules

Brice McKeown 3D

Postby Brice McKeown 3D » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes, so if someone says there is hydrogen bonding present, you can assume that dipole-dipole is also present. The opposite is not true though. If it is said that dipole-dipole interactions are taking place, you cannot say that hydrogen bonding is also present without more information!

Brice McKeown 3D

Postby Brice McKeown 3D » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:50 pm

But for things like exam 3, I think it would be best to state that both hydrogen bonding and dipole-dipole interactions are present

SophiaKohlhoff4B

Postby SophiaKohlhoff4B » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

If the final asks for the intermolecular forces in a molecule, can we always write that London forces are present or are there cases where they are not?

Lasya Gudipudi 1A

Postby Lasya Gudipudi 1A » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 pm

SophiaKohlhoff4B wrote:If the final asks for the intermolecular forces in a molecule, can we always write that London forces are present or are there cases where they are not?

I believe Lavelle said that London Dispersion Forces are always present in between molecules that are close to each regardless of whether they are polar or nonpolar.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”