7th edition 3F.13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brice McKeown 3D

7th edition 3F.13

Postby Brice McKeown 3D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 pm

I am confused why a molecule with a tetrahedral shape can have two atoms bonded to the central atom closer together than other atoms. Like aren't all then bound atoms 120 degrees apart? So why does it say that option II has oppositely charged ends closest to each other?

Michael Torres 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 7th edition 3F.13

Postby Michael Torres 4I » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Bond angles in a tetrahedral structure are approximately 109.5 degrees.

Bond length depends on the atoms themselves. Therefore, bonds between different types of atoms can have different lengths. For example, due to the fact atoms with larger atomic radii tend to have longer bonds, a bond between a small and a large atom will be longer than that between two small atoms.

That being said, the answer to the question is II because intermolecular forces between the two atoms will be stronger if the partial positive and partial negative charges are positioned in a manner through which they are best able to attract each other. Because of the positioning present in answer II, the molecules in this example will have the strongest intermolecular forces because of the strong attraction that will occur between atoms with opposite partial charges.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”