Hydrogen Bonding

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AlyssaYeh_1B

Hydrogen Bonding

Postby AlyssaYeh_1B » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:47 pm

How come hydrogen bonding occurs with only molecules that have N, O, F? Why can't hydrogen be bonded with other electronegative atoms and become partially positive?

MinuChoi

Re: Hydrogen Bonding

Postby MinuChoi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:21 pm

I think there is a possibility of other electronegative atoms forming hydrogen bonds, but N/O/F are the specific elements for which the hydrogen bonds are favorable and the strongest, so N/O/F hydrogen bonds are the only ones we should be concerned with.

Catherine Daye 1L

Postby Catherine Daye 1L » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm

I think this is because they are very electronegative. Especially because they have small radii, it has strong bonds with hydrogen, which has the smallest radius of all the elements.

Qilan Li 4I

Postby Qilan Li 4I » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:53 pm

The electronegative atom must have one or more unshared electron pairs (which oxygen and nitrogen have). The atoms must also have a partial negative charge. The hydrogen (has a partial positive charge) is attracted to the partial negative charge of oxygen or nitrogen which has excess electrons to share. I believe another reason is that there is a great difference in electronegativity between H and N, O, or F atoms.

Rebekah Alfred 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebekah Alfred 1J » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:54 pm

The electronegativity of N, O, and F is important because it affects the strength of the hydrogen bond.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”