Attractive forces for induced dipole-induced dipole interactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Chen 2L

Attractive forces for induced dipole-induced dipole interactions

Postby Alex Chen 2L » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm

I know that induced dipole-induced dipole forces arise because of fluctuations in the electron cloud of atoms or molecules. But what exactly is represented by the attractive force (-alpha x alpha / r6)? If the attractive force is around -2kJ/mol, then is that amount of energy released when the interaction formed or required to break the interaction?

Also, I'm a little confused on what happens to the induced dipole-induced dipole force over time. Do the atoms/molecules involved simply become "depolarized" over time and stop interacting? Or do they require outside intervention or forces to break their induced attraction? Hypothetically, if they are alone in a vacuum, will they continue to interact forever?

Ariana Iranmahboub1G

Re: Attractive forces for induced dipole-induced dipole interactions

Postby Ariana Iranmahboub1G » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:27 pm

I think that amount would be the amount of energy required to break the integration because the attractive force is the strength of the bond. As for how they become "depolarized", these interactions are generally weak, so it is very likely. However, usually when they are broken they also quickly form another interactions again. Hydrogen bonds, for instance, are constantly being broken and reformed in water (liquid H20).

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”