Relationship between size of atom and bond strength

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Clarice Chui 2C

Relationship between size of atom and bond strength

Postby Clarice Chui 2C » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 pm

So in lecture we talked about how larger atoms/ atoms with higher molar mass have stronger attractive interactions, so does that help explain why, for example, F subscript 2 is a gas at room temp while I subscript 2 is a solid? The bigger the atom --> the stronger the bond --> the more solid it is at room temp?

Althea Zhao 1B

Re: Relationship between size of atom and bond strength

Postby Althea Zhao 1B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes! Stronger bonds are harder to disturb, so the atoms stay close together - aka in solid state.

Helen Struble 2F

Re: Relationship between size of atom and bond strength

Postby Helen Struble 2F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 pm

I think you are confusing the strength of bonds with the strength of the intermolecular forces. The bond is what holds the two atoms together, for F2 and I2, this is a non polar covalent bond. The intermolecular forces are what keep the molecules together as a solid, liquid, or gas. In your question, it is the stronger interactions which result in I2 being a solid.

Larger atoms do not have stronger interactions because they are heavier. Rather, heavier bonds have more electrons, which result in stronger attractions. More electrons means stronger partial negative and partial positive charge, which makes interactions which hold molecules together stronger.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”