3F13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan Vu 1J

3F13

Postby Megan Vu 1J » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 pm

For 3F13, I am confused on how to identify the actual arrangement of molecules for the strongest intermolecular attraction. How would you justify your answer and how would you know which one is the strongest? Thank you!

Jainam Shah 4I

Re: 3F13

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 pm

The arrangement in which H and Cl are closest together will have the strongest intermolecular attractions. The closer they are the stronger the dipole is, thus stronger intermolecular attraction and forces are present. I believe structure 2(II) has H and Cl to be the closest together.

Ashley Nguyen 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashley Nguyen 2L » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:51 am

For this problem, the choice showing dipole-dipole interactions between the molecules has the strongest attraction. In choice II, the partial positive H are nearest to the partial negative Cl, giving these molecules the strongest intermolecular interaction. In addition, you know that different molecule's chlorines should not be near each other because the electronegativity of the chlorines would repel each other, weakening the bond.

rachel liu 3k

Postby rachel liu 3k » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:04 am

Ashley Nguyen 4E wrote:For this problem, the choice showing dipole-dipole interactions between the molecules has the strongest attraction. In choice II, the partial positive H are nearest to the partial negative Cl, giving these molecules the strongest intermolecular interaction. In addition, you know that different molecule's chlorines should not be near each other because the electronegativity of the chlorines would repel each other, weakening the bond.

please reply to this by quoting my question. thx in advance!
Oh, so the only reason that III is not the answer is that the chlorines repel each other?

Jamie Hwang 2F

Postby Jamie Hwang 2F » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 am

rachel liu 3k wrote:
Ashley Nguyen 4E wrote:For this problem, the choice showing dipole-dipole interactions between the molecules has the strongest attraction. In choice II, the partial positive H are nearest to the partial negative Cl, giving these molecules the strongest intermolecular interaction. In addition, you know that different molecule's chlorines should not be near each other because the electronegativity of the chlorines would repel each other, weakening the bond.

Oh, so the only reason that III is not the answer is that the chlorines repel each other?

Yeah that's why. In III the chlorines of different molecules are relatively close together while in II the chlorines of different molecules are very far apart.

Anisha Chandra 1K

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:50 am

Make sure you aren't looking at each option as different angles of one molecule - that's why I was confused at first until I realized I needed to pay attention to intermolecular attractions and not intramolecular attractions!

rachel liu 3k

Postby rachel liu 3k » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Jamie Hwang 3H wrote:
rachel liu 3k wrote:

Yeah that's why. In III the chlorines of different molecules are relatively close together while in II the chlorines of different molecules are very far apart.

Got it, thanks.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”