Intermolecular Forces vs Bonding???

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KNguyen_1I

Intermolecular Forces vs Bonding???

Postby KNguyen_1I » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm

So we consider things like ion-dipole, LDF, dipole-dipole, etc as intermolecular forces right? So what do we call polar and nonpolar bonding between the atoms within the molecule? Or rather, in general, what are the relationships between these things?

Alex Hitti 3E

Re: Intermolecular Forces vs Bonding???

Postby Alex Hitti 3E » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Ion-dipole, LDF, and dipole-dipole, etc are intermolecular forces: forces between two different molecules meanwhile polar/nonpolar are intramolecular forces (within the molecule).
Also, dipole-dipole: interactions between 2 polar molecules
LDF: interactions between 2 non polar molecules

Abby Soriano 1J

Postby Abby Soriano 1J » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Those are known as intermolecular forces because they are the forces that attract different molecules to one another. Polar and nonpolar bonding occurs between atoms in a molecule so we call them intramolecular (since they happen within the molecule).

Leila_4G

Postby Leila_4G » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 pm

I'm still kind of confused on what a dipole moment is, can you help clarify?

sarahsalama2E

Postby sarahsalama2E » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Do all molecules have London Dispersion Forces and only certain ones have dipole moments (i.e. you must draw the lewis structure to see that).

KNguyen_1I

Postby KNguyen_1I » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Dipole moments are within mostly covalent compounds where the greater electronegative differences between the elements/atoms int the molecule create a slight polarity between the charges of the atoms and causing slightly ionic properties due to the electronegativity.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”