3F.13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

3F.13

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:37 pm

How are we supposed to approach this problem? the only thing I can think of is that if the bond lengths are shorter then the attraction is greater.

Selena Yu 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 3F.13

Postby Selena Yu 1H » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:50 pm

First, you would try to figure out what atoms correspond to which color. So looking at the diagram, the dark grey atom would be carbon because it is the central atom. Then, the light grey atom would be hydrogen because hydrogen is smaller than chlorine. So then that leaves the green atom to be chlorine. Then the arrangement with the strongest intermolecular force would be the one with the strongest dipole-dipole interactions. So you would look at the placement of the molecules and make sure there is no electron-electron repulsion.

Victor James 4I

Re: 3F.13

Postby Victor James 4I » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 pm

I think the bond lengths are all the same, we should be looking at the dipole moments for the atoms and how they face the dipoles of other atoms

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”