Vapor pressure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

Vapor pressure

Postby samanthaywu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:55 pm

How is vapor pressure impacted by the strength of intermolecular forces? Do compounds of all of the above types of forces have a vapor pressure or do some compounds exert near negligible vapor pressure?

Jeremy Wei 2C

Re: Vapor pressure

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Vapor pressure I believe is correlated with evaporation rate (higher vapor pressure indicates higher evaporation rate), so stronger intermolecular forces would result in a lower vapor pressure, since the stronger forces would make it harder for the substance to vaporize.

Victor Li 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Victor Li 2A » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 pm

I see vapor pressure as the pressure exerted by gas-phase molecules in a closed system as the molecules move and bounce around. Because intermolecular forces tend to attract molecules with each other and make them move less, intermolecular forces with greater strengths tend to decrease vapor pressure. I don't know if my explanation is correct but it makes sense to me.

Alan Huang 1E

Postby Alan Huang 1E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:09 pm

I think what we need to remember is that weak intermolecular forces produce higher vapor pressures and strong forces produce lower vapor pressures.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”