Overall Review of Intermolecular Forces

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kyle Walsh 2J

Overall Review of Intermolecular Forces

Postby Kyle Walsh 2J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi! I was rereading my notes on this section and realized that I was somewhat unclear on what I wrote down, especially like the actual applications of intermolecular forces and why they matter in general chemistry. I know the general trends in strength, but what effect does the strength have in the real world? Thanks!

Zach Richardson 2f

Re: Overall Review of Intermolecular Forces

Postby Zach Richardson 2f » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Well in very large complex proteins for example, hydrogen bonds and Van der Waals interactions play a very important role in tertiary and quaternary structures. The permanent dipole of water is the reason why things dissolve in water and thus why it is necessary for life. A lot of these interactions are present in biology because of the size of molecules that biology deals with.

Jay Solanki 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jay Solanki 3A » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Also to add to the above: water's hydrogen bonding allows water molecules to expand when in a crystalline structure (or a solid). this makes the density of this crystalline solid (ice) smaller than water and allows ice to float on water. This allows marine life to prosper well. Just thought I would add in an additional biological application to the aforementioned examples.

Wil Chai 3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Wil Chai 3D » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:34 pm

More of a specific to chemistry thing, but the strength of IMFs is related to characteristics of substances such as boiling/melting/freezing point, viscosity, heat capacity, and others.

Water, for instance, has a high heat capacity due to H-bonds. When heat is added to water, some energy goes in to breaking those H-bonds, meaning that the temperature does not rise as fast. This helps maintain temp in oceans.

You can also apply this knowledge to the separation of two liquids in a mixture by distillation. This process involves heating up a mixture so the liquid with the weaker IMFs vaporizes, is collected, and then condensed again, giving you two separate liquids. Hope these examples are helpful!

Katie Nye 2F

Postby Katie Nye 2F » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:40 pm

I think the most common usage of this idea would be boiling/freezing/melting points! The stronger the intermolecular force, the higher the boiling/melting points because they require more energy to break the stronger bond.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”