Difference between London dispersion forces and Van Der Waal's

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annemarielawrence

Difference between London dispersion forces and Van Der Waal's

Postby annemarielawrence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm

What is the difference between london dispersion forces and van der waals? I know that all London Dispersion forces are Van Der Waals but I don't understand why London Dispersion forces cannot be considered Van Der Waals

Chloe Borja 2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Difference between London dispersion forces and Van Der Waal's

Postby Chloe Borja 2D » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:04 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure if we would need to know the difference—at least now—since its kind of slight. If I remember correctly, the terms are just used interchangeably, along with induced dipole-induced dipole attraction.

Michelle_Duong_3H

Postby Michelle_Duong_3H » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello,

Dispersion forces, London dispersion forces, and Van der Waal forces are all the same thing. These occur when there is an induced dipole-induced dipole interaction between molecules. These types of attractive forces are present in all molecular interactions.

Hope this helps!

ElizabethKarlin2E

Postby ElizabethKarlin2E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:44 am

We haven't gone over the differences because they're so minuscule. I think for now we can use both terms interchangeably

Wenhan Li_3d

Postby Wenhan Li_3d » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:04 pm

London dispersion forces different from Van der Waals forces because Van der Waals forces is the weakest intermolecular force and consist of dipole-dipole forces and dispersion forces .

Omeed Kalan

Postby Omeed Kalan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 pm

I believe they are the same, at least in our course, thus you can use them the same way.

Postby 706007087 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:29 am

Van Der Waal's is a type of force that occurs dipole to dipole. London Dispersion is a subtype of Van der Waal's, where the interactions occur mainly on between nonpolar molecules. In the context of this class, they are basically the same thing.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”