Shape and Boiling Point

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

alanaarchbold

Shape and Boiling Point

Postby alanaarchbold » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:50 pm

What is the relationship between shape and boiling point? Like I know if it's rod-shaped there's a stronger interaction because of the larger distance, but what does that have to do with its higher boiling point?

Isabel Nakoud 4D

Re: Shape and Boiling Point

Postby Isabel Nakoud 4D » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Stronger interactions imply that the bond is harder to break. Boiling points refer to the minimal temperature required to break the bonds of the substance. Therefore, stronger interactions cause the substance to have a higher boiling point, and vice versa.

Christopher Wendland 4F

Postby Christopher Wendland 4F » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Boiling and melting points are directly related to the strength of the intermolecular bonds, the stronger the interaction between molecules, the higher the boiling point.

charlotte_jacobs_4I

Postby charlotte_jacobs_4I » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Does the distance between the bonds effect the boiling point? Would this cause the bond to be stronger or weaker?

Shibhon_Shepard

Postby Shibhon_Shepard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I think most of what he was referring to with boiling point and shape, was how if there is more surface area touching than the rod for example would be a harder bond to break, versus when you look at to circles only has a little piece touching there for it is an easier bond to break.

Shibhon_Shepard

Postby Shibhon_Shepard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 pm

charlotte_jacobs_4G wrote:Does the distance between the bonds effect the boiling point? Would this cause the bond to be stronger or weaker?

This distance between the bonds would have an effect on the boiling point or how easily the bonds are broken. This is how I think about it to determine whether it is a stronger bond or not. If you have more of a space or area to break off than it is weak versus one that is bonded more tightly. It would be harder to break if there is less space, you would have to be more exact to be able to break it.

Henry Dudley 1G

Postby Henry Dudley 1G » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pm

charlotte_jacobs_4G wrote:Does the distance between the bonds effect the boiling point? Would this cause the bond to be stronger or weaker?

The longer the bond the weaker it is. For instance double bonds are shorter and stronger than single bonds and triple bonds are shorter and stronger than double and single bonds.

Yiwen Chen-3G

Postby Yiwen Chen-3G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am

You can think of it this way: the higher boiling point, the harder it is to separate between molecules. Therefore, a stronger intermolecular force results in a higher boiling point.

Daniela Alvarado 3B

Postby Daniela Alvarado 3B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:57 pm

alanaarchbold wrote:What is the relationship between shape and boiling point? Like I know if it's rod-shaped there's a stronger interaction because of the larger distance, but what does that have to do with its higher boiling point?

the way I think of it is that when 2 rod shape molecules interact the shape allows the two rods to be closer and as a result theres is a lot more of intermolecular attraction going as opposed to when two spherical molecules try to get close. And of course, stronger interaction/attraction would be more difficult to break and therefore would have a higher breaking point.

Simran Rai 4E

Postby Simran Rai 4E » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Henry Dudley 1I wrote:

The longer the bond the weaker it is. For instance double bonds are shorter and stronger than single bonds and triple bonds are shorter and stronger than double and single bonds.

Yes, and to add on, the shorter the bond, the more strength it has. This is why a higher melting point is required, because more energy is needed to separate the forces.

Katie Frei 1L

Postby Katie Frei 1L » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Would the presence of a dipole moment contribute to the boiling point being higher?

Yen Ho Chou 1D

Postby Yen Ho Chou 1D » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 pm

shapes resulting in strong force will result in them being harder to break

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm

@Katie, yes having a dipole moment would increase the boiling point of a compound compared to a compound that is nonpolar. This is because the dipole moment allows the molecule to have dipole-dipole intermolecular attractions, which are stronger and therefore require more energy/higher temperature to break than London forces.
And :re shape, rod-like shapes allow more and closer points of contact between two molecules than spherical compounds, which are close at only one point and most of the molecule is farther away from each other

Return to “*Liquid Structure (Viscosity, Surface Tension, Liquid Crystals, Ionic Liquids)”