Polarizability and States

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Zoya Mulji 1K

Polarizability and States

Postby Zoya Mulji 1K » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm

What is the relationship between polarizability and the states of atoms/molecules?

kpang_4H

Re: Polarizability and States

Postby kpang_4H » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:03 pm

I dont think there is a relationship, I think larger atoms are generally more polarizable.

Aadil Rehan 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Aadil Rehan 1D » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:02 pm

I think gaseous atoms are the most polarizable, simply based on the fact that atoms and their electrons are most mobile in the gas state.

Ashley Fang 2G

Postby Ashley Fang 2G » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm

The greater the molecular mass, the greater the electron cloud distortion and polarizability. London dispersion forces tend to be stronger between molecules that are easily polarized. Thus, with a higher intermolecular force, the melting point/boiling point will also tend to be higher because more energy is needed to phase change, so it'll be more likely that the element will be in a solid or liquid state than say a gaseous state with a higher MP/BP.

An example would be Bromine, which is a liquid, while Iodine (a row below Bromine) is a solid due to its greater molecular mass, greater atomic radii, greater polarizability, and also higher MP.

Return to “*Liquid Structure (Viscosity, Surface Tension, Liquid Crystals, Ionic Liquids)”