Boiling points

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annemarielawrence

Boiling points

Postby annemarielawrence » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Do we need to know certain boiling or melting points of molecules for the final? If so, can someone remind me how we find those?

Jonathan Sautter 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Boiling points

Postby Jonathan Sautter 1J » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:42 pm

We don't need to know specifics. All we need to know is the certain rules of boiling points in order to predict if one molecule will have a higher or lower boiling point than another. For instance, you should expect a polar molecule to have a higher boiling point than a nonpolar molecule because of the stronger intermolecular forces (dipole-dipole vs. London forces).

Jocelyn Chin 1K

Postby Jocelyn Chin 1K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:50 pm

I don't think you would need to know the specific boiling/melting points, but you should know how intermolecular forces impact the boiling or melting point of a molecule. Molecules with stronger intermolecular forces have higher boiling points and melting points because these molecules will be strongly attracted to each other, and high energy will be needed to break these intermolecular forces.

Jaipal Virdi 2I

Postby Jaipal Virdi 2I » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:57 pm

I don't think you would need to memorize anything specific for the boiling point of a molecule besides being able to compare two given temperatures and knowing how that corresponds to it's intermolecular forces.

Return to “*Liquid Structure (Viscosity, Surface Tension, Liquid Crystals, Ionic Liquids)”