Insulates systems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kaela_losekoot_2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Insulates systems

Postby kaela_losekoot_2A » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:32 pm

Hi, I was wondering if an insulated system counts as a closed system. I think for an insulated system, heat cannot exchange but mass can, and for a closed system mass cannot exchange but energy can. If an insulated system is not a closed system, would it be a fourth type of system (in addition to open, closed, and isolated)?

Everest Cheng 2J

Re: Insulates systems

Postby Everest Cheng 2J » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:34 pm

Insulated systems could be understood to be an isolated system, as they cannot exchange matter or energy. I am assuming your insulated system is similar to a high-quality thermos bottle, in which case there would be some sort of stopper to prevent an exchange of matter.

Patel Kardoukian 1F

Postby Patel Kardoukian 1F » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:22 pm

Yes, insulated system can be seen as closed systems. A closed system is seen when nothing is transferred to the outside surroundings.

Destiny Caldwell 3J

Postby Destiny Caldwell 3J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:33 pm

An insulated system and a closed system are not the same, as they refer to different characteristics of the system's boundaries. In a closed system, mass cannot exchange with the surroundings, but energy can. In an insulated system, heat transfer (energy) is restricted, but mass exchange can still occur.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”